Archived Caches - Any Easy Way Of Looking Them Up?

Go to the geocaching map from the link on the cache page

tick the show archived caches box

untick nearly everything else

zoom out till you see some caches apear

click identify and you get nearby archived caches.

be carefull using fellow premium members gpx files you need them to exclude caches they have found which are archived before sending them to you !!!

learnt that the hard waynb

dino i have the irish ones :P

Edited by markandlynn
If you contact me through my profile I can email you back a GPX file of almost all archived and temporarily unavailable UK caches, 1641 at the moment.

Just out of interest, how did you compile this list?

I used the loc files from GCUK and individually downloaded the GPX files from GC.COM. I did a few a day for several weeks, which was a real pain, and now once a week after all the weeks PQs I check for any that have not been updated that week and they are generally archived caches so I download an updated GPX.

Yes I know it's really sad and I need to get out more B)

you need them to exclude caches they have found which are archived before sending them to you

Not sure that I understand what you mean, could you please explain a bit more?

The GPX files we get from GC are tailored to the individual requesting them. If you have found (or placed) the cache a flag is set within the GPX file. This is to ensure that if you download the GPX a long time after finding the cache (ie after five more logs have been made) it still shows as a find.

As long as you know this is going to happen when you import the (gratefully recieved) file it is easy to go through the files individually or set some import conditions (ie a new database in GSAK) if you are unaware that this will happen your find count goes up and a manual sort is required.

you need them to exclude caches they have found which are archived before sending them to you

Not sure that I understand what you mean, could you please explain a bit more?

The GPX files we get from GC are tailored to the individual requesting them. If you have found (or placed) the cache a flag is set within the GPX file. This is to ensure that if you download the GPX a long time after finding the cache (ie after five more logs have been made) it still shows as a find.

As long as you know this is going to happen when you import the (gratefully recieved) file it is easy to go through the files individually or set some import conditions (ie a new database in GSAK) if you are unaware that this will happen your find count goes up and a manual sort is required.

Ah yes, now I see B) ; thanks for that heads up.