Uploading Maps To A Magellan

I Have just bought a Magellan eXplorist 600. I would like to know if there is any other programs to upload maps to my unit? I know about Mapsend but I dont want to spend $150 plus on a map since I will only be using it in one area. I have tried playing with my Xmap software from Delorme without any luck. The Xmap works fine in my Ipaq with GPS for what I use it for. Can I covert the Xmap to a format my magellan would understand and if so what would I use to do it? Thanks

Are you looking at Topo 3D or Direct Route? T3D can be had for around $50-$75 and DR can be had for around $99. Don't know how much you know but here goes. As far as I know only Mapsend products will work for the Explorist. The T3D shows some POIs and has contours and most roads that DR has but can not do the routing. DR has less roads (does not show a lot of the secondary roads (dirt roads and trails) that T3D has. However, DR has tons of POIs and will allow you to get turn by turn directions on you GPS for navigating between locations.

I use both and like what both for what they have to offer. I will use DR to get me to a location and T3D to do the off Road stuff once I leave the pavement. I just load all the areas I need to an SD card before I leave the house for a trip.

Hope this helps let me know if you have any specific questions. I am not an expert by any stretch of imagination but I have used both Progs on several trips and several cache hunting expeditions.

Cheers

Muddler

Muddler's information is pretty much right on this. There *are* some means of "rolling your own" (see here), but on the surface it looks complex enough to me to make me happier about purchasing MapSend.

Look on Froogle for some of the better prices--much cheaper than buying direct from Magellan.

There *are* some means of "rolling your own" (see here), but on the surface it looks complex enough to me to make me happier about purchasing MapSend.

It's actualy far easier to do this for Magellans than for Garmin units, thanks to Thales / Magellan's free MobileMapper Office software. Much depends on your use. This is a viable solution if you want topo maps, but I don't believe you can autoroute this way. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

My book has a chapter on how to make your own custom maps for a Garmin, Magellan or Lowrance, and another chapter on how to get them into your GPS. Previously this was only possible with the Meridian and SporTrak series of Magellan units, but recent advances have made it possible to do so with the Explorist series. See here for more info. HTH.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey