How Does One Buy From Someone Else Securely?

The costs associated with a real escrow service (goods <-> money) might outweigh the savings made on the purchase of items from the GC forums. Given that, I am selective with who I deal with. I use a variety of factors: stats, posts, member signup date, etc. This is like my informal eBay-like feedback. It works pretty well.

Additionally, Geocaching is such a fringe hobby. Theres not a lot of incentive for someone to get on here and rip people off over and over. I see it easier for a fraudster to blend into the enormous eBay traffic/userbase.

My $0.02.

Selling is not the problem since it is normal to expect payment prior to shipping. It's the buying that can be the issue since having parted with the money you have to wait to see if the goods show up. Using paypal from and to verified users is the way to go, you are protected by paypal. Purchasing with a Visa is good to since all internet purchases are protected.

If you are asked for a money order or similar these are the people that you should be careful of.

Hummer H1

Since I have a Garmin 12 with pc/auto cable and auto mount that I'm thinking of selling, I was wondering about this also.

How does shipping Fedex ground COD with payment by money order/cashiers check sound to everyone? Selling price would incude shipping and the COD fees.

How does shipping Fedex ground COD with payment by money order/cashiers check sound to everyone? Selling price would incude shipping and the COD fees.

What kind of fees does Fed-Ex charge for handling COD? PayPal will cost you 3% of the sale, factor that in to the sales price if you need to. However, I look at the 3% fee as the cost of hassle free selling. I have the money in my PayPal account now, no waiting. It does take a couple of days to get transferred to my banking account.

Based on conversation with local FedexKinko, there is no additional COD charge, just normal shipping charges, i.e no 3% paypal fee.

My whole thought on this was, I'd get paid when item is delivered, buyer would know before shelling out money that I shipped it.

Edited by romer1

Millbank , I am not sure if they can but that would be the best way.

I choose to go the verified paypal route as mentioned above. Both myself and the other party that I am purchasing from are both paypal verified so there should be no problems.

Edited by D0T-C0M

No, with FedEx and UPS you have to pay and sign for the package before they give it to you. You can't inspect it before hand. I have never used FedEx for COD, but UPS charges extra for COD. It only makes sense, it is extra work, just like return shipping. Cash might be less work, but they still have to record it and then turn it over to you.

Paypal does not charge small guys anymore. My personal account very clearly says I can buy and sell and not be charged anything. I have used my credit card to make payments to others with personal accounts with no fee.

Nearly everyone that buys from me uses PayPal. The convenience of it is worth the cut that I have to give them.

As a seller, I won't use COD. What if the buyer's not at home? What if he doesn't have the cash? What if the shipment is rejected because the buyer changes his mind? (I get to pay for shipping both ways).

If you are concerned about paying up front, check out the seller.

If they are a geocacher, have they been around for a while? Are they active in the forums? Have they bought or sold from the garage sale forum before? Talk to those that have done business with.

If they use PayPal, check out their reputation. It will tell you how many verified buyers the seller has sold to.

If they are ebayers, check the feedback. Look at both the rating and the actual feedback left.

...Paypal does not charge small guys anymore. My personal account very clearly says I can buy and sell and not be charged anything. I have used my credit card to make payments to others with personal accounts with no fee.

I'm not sure what you are referring to. Paypal doesn't charge when you buy something, but it does take a small cut from the amount the seller receives.

I have used my credit card to make payments to others with personal accounts with no fee.

Making payments never incurs you a fee...

It is when you receive payment via credit that you get hit with the fee. I think, and I may need some further clarrification, but, if you receive a payment from any credit card you will be charged a fee. Personal or business account aside. As long as it is a credit card, there is a fee. I believe that the fee is waved when paying with a bank account or PayPal Buyer Credit line.

As a person who occasionally sells on evilbay. I would be very interesseted to know how you are never getting charged a fee when you sell and receive payment via credit card through PayPal. Heck, you could save me some money B)

I have not received a payment, but from what I have read on the Paypal site, there is *no* stated fee involved in receiving a payment if you are not a *commercial* user. They also say you can not receive credit card payments, but I have made credit card payments to personal accounts. Seems Paypal sets up two transactions, one from the credit card to your account and another from your account to theirs. I don't see any fees involved for doing this. Since the receiver of the funds is not receiving a payment from the credit card company, they pay them no cut.

To withdraw money from your account it seems you need to ACH the funds into your US bank account, with no fee. They also talk about receiving a check directly from Paypal, but I can't find info on fees. I sent them a request for clarification on this a day or so ago and so far, no answer.

If you only accept PayPal payments that are funded from a bank account or existing PayPal balance, you won't be charged anything. You can also SEND payments funded by anything you please without incurring any charges yourself. You cannot, however, accept credit-card-funded payments without upgrading to a business account, which does charge a fee to accept the credit card payments. You can send a cc payment to a regular account, but the message the person receives on the other end tells them they must upgrade to accept it. (Business account, in this context, doesn't mean it has to be an account for a business, or in a business name -- it just means that the individual with that account pays a transaction fee and can take credit cards.)