Advice In Gps Unit To Buy

I'm not going to ask the typical "What is the best GPSr", I've done much research but I still have a few questions.

I wanted to try geocaching for work: I'm a social worker that goes out one to one with clients and promotes things like exercise. We often go out walking, and geocaching seemed to be an excellent way of promoting hiking and give motivation to doing things (many of my clients have expressed much interest in making their own caches).

So I'm essentially looking for two GPS units. One for work and one for myself. The one for work has to be cheaper and ease of use is a key importance since we're hoping to have all of our staff use it, and not all are technologically saavy. What are the easiest to use GPSrs?

The other GPS is for myself. I have almost no interest in autorouting, or any car like features. It will be almost entirely used for hiking and geocaching. Money is less important, but I'd rather not spent tons of money on things I won't need. I've been using a Magellan Meridian Platinum, so I'm not sure how much of a difference color versus gray makes for geocaching. I'm interested in the vista series and the 60 series. Accuracy and size along with the best features for geocaching are of greatest importance for this GPSr.

Edited by nanaimosupportivelifestyles

The Garmin interface is easier than the Magellan interface. The catch is that you already use the Magellan. The GPS you have is fine for geocaching.

For work a Legend would be a good all around GPS. It's got mapping if you ever need it but it's not too expensive. For personal if you have to upgrade (and you don't have to) a Vista or 60 would both work well for you but then so would an Explorist 400 and up.

I think it's about 95% aesthetics. It *is* easier to tell that a blue line is a stream rather than trying to figure out if a gray line is a stream or a railroad track or a road.

Any differences in components will not be related to the differences in color vs noncolor. While color units will tend to be higher end models, most of these models also come in monochrome flavors, too.

Can anybody tell me what they find the main difference between color units and grayscale units? I've heard that the color units can be better for accuracy in some cases...is it purely for aethetics or does it effect the way a GPSr actually works (ie: better parts in the color units)

A color GPSr is not going to be any more accurate than a non-color model, just easier on the eyes. But an exception, (there's always a "but" lol) the color Etrex models have been shown to be more accurate than the non-color Etrexes, not because of the color option itself, but I think because the color models are much newer. Garmin must have updated the internals when creating the Legend C and Vista C, they are MUCH better holding signal lock especially in the woods as compared the their B&W ancestors.

My failing eyesight basically requires me to use a more expensive color GPS, but in your case I think the Magellan Meridian Gold would be best, because you can save on it's memory card, your work info, and your geocaching info, like tracklogs, and waypoint files on the memory card.

Thanks a lot guys, you're really narrowing it down for me.

I think I'm going to go for the 60MAPCS for myself (might as well go straight to the top). But in reading some advice from other posts, the Lowrance iFinder with it's easy/advanced mode might be perfect for the work GPS; The staff that understands geocaching could enter the waypoints then the staff that didn't have a clue could have it switched to easy mode for them. My question: Is geocaching posible in the easy mode of the Lowrance or is it pointless?

My question: Is geocaching posible in the easy mode of the Lowrance or is it pointless?

I really love my iFinder, so it really hurts to say this...

It is pointless. In Easy Mode you can not add waypoints nor navigate to one, other than Home and Man-Over-Board.

Sooo... I'd suggest getting one from the other two major brands, but definitely one of their newer offerings. Look into the Magellan eXplorist 200 or the Garmin GPS60. They're both less than $150 and fairly easy to use.

My question: Is geocaching posible in the easy mode of the Lowrance or is it pointless?

I really love my iFinder, so it really hurts to say this...

It is pointless. In Easy Mode you can not add waypoints nor navigate to one, other than Home and Man-Over-Board.

Sooo... I'd suggest getting one from the other two major brands, but definitely one of their newer offerings. Look into the Magellan eXplorist 200 or the Garmin GPS60. They're both less than $150 and fairly easy to use.

That's true. I think Lowrance just missed the mark with their easy/advanced mode.

If you want a GPS that is easy to use and inexpensive, consider the Garmin Geko 201. Its perfect for the techically challenged and good enough to do the job for serious GPS users.