My Gps V Died!

Bummer! Was working one second; completely dead the next. Checked fuse in car cord, tried different power outlet, and even replaced batteries, but to no avail. Unit seems to be dead, dead, dead! Got it as a Christmas gift in December of 2004 and registered it on their site, so fortunately it is under warranty. I have sent an email to Garmin to get an RMA so I can get it repaired or replaced. Anyone have any ideas to try, or can relate their experiences in dealing with Garmin service? Garmin said something on their website about needing original receipt, but I am not sure I can lay my hands on it. Plus I registered it with them so I would think they would not need it.

Edited by Scooter38401

When I thought I had a problem with my GPSr, the Garmin man on the phone was very helpful, assured me it would be covered under warranty, and gave me an RMA.

I don't know if you will get the RMA as quickly from an email as you will if you call them first thing Monday morning.

Sorry that happened to you . . . :ph34r:

I do plan on calling Garmin on Monday morning..... I hate that this happened. We went out visiting Amish country here in middle Tennessee, and was going to use it to mark farms that had handmade furniture for sale so we could return this fall when weather is cooler. Still had fun though visiting the farms without my high tech toy.

My eTrex Vista had the screen problem right after I got it. So I did the RMA thing and got my Vista back within the week. I think I sent it off on Monday morning and had it back either Thursday or Friday morning.

The real story is that a new GPSmap 162 I had purchased when dead all of the sudden. Since I had already had a Garmin unit fixed under warranty, they next day'ed my 162 back to me (sent is on Monday morning got a replacement back on Tuesday evening). They also send a second mounting station for the trouble.

It's not fun when a unit goes out on you but Garmin's great service eases the pain.

Called Garmin today and got an RMA number. Wifey took it to the post office today to send out express mail with a tracking number and insurance. I like the news of a fast turn around! The bummer is we leave for a diving trip to Bonaire on Saturday, and I had hoped to take it with me to log some of the more out of the way Geocaches on the island. Guess I will have to squeeze another dive in instead. :anicute:

Called Garmin today and got an RMA number. Wifey took it to the post office today to send out express mail with a tracking number and insurance. I like the news of a fast turn around! The bummer is we leave for a diving trip to Bonaire on Saturday, and I had hoped to take it with me to log some of the more out of the way Geocaches on the island. Guess I will have to squeeze another dive in instead. :anicute:

Use it as and excuse to upgrade to a 60C, then sell the V when it comes back :blink:.

... The bummer is we leave for a diving trip to Bonaire on Saturday, and I had hoped to take it with me to log some of the more out of the way Geocaches on the island. Guess I will have to squeeze another dive in instead. :anicute:

You might be surprised. Since you overnighted it to them, you just may have it back in your hands by Saturday.