Which Type Of Cache Would Be Most Correct?

OK, here's the deal - our town celebrates a local hero. I'm going to hide a cache with the clues leading to various places where info on this person can be found. The start will be the gravestone marker, but I'm giving the coordinates to the cemetary gate only. From there, clues will be given so the finder can figure out what the next coordinates are, where more clues to the next coordinates can be found. There will be three virtual locations and then the final coordinates to a physical cache.

Do you think this would best be described as a multi-cache or a puzzle cache?

Thank you for your input... ;)

Do you mean multi or mystery compared to multi or puzzle?

Mystery does not always mean puzzle and multi does not mean there is no puzzle.

What you are descibing could for sure be called a multi.

People will also know it is a multi right away probably from reading the description.

Iti s more or less your call ;)

I have a cache that is a multi and someone emailed me and said that because they needed to do prework before doing the hunt that it should have been called a mystery. I disagree. Any cache of any type may need prework before you leave the house.

That is a good feature request though for attributes or another field. Can this cache be done with just a print out of the description and a gps. That could help people who are paperless and running from a pocket pc know whether or not to be prepared...

That's a mystery/unknown/puzzle cache. A common theme of this "catch all" category is that it ought to include all caches for which the posted coordinates are "bogus", meaning that they are a parking location or trailhead, a random location a half mile away from the cache, etc.

When hunting a multicache, the geocacher should find the first clue or container at the posted coordinates. In your example, if the posted coordinates were for the grave, then that would be a multicache.

Thank you, by the way, for constructing a cache that features your local hero's grave while also being respectful by making it just a virtual stage.

I have a cache that is basically a one-step multi, but because the end point is a couple of miles from the first stop (the object I wanted everyone to see), the approver made it a Mystery cache.

Because of all the private property in the vicinity of the interesting brick wall, a picture of which I used as the background, I couldn't put a physical cache very close by.

I'm going to hide a cache with the clues ...

Your cache has multiple points therefore it is a multi not a regular.

However, the coordinates for the 2nd stop are not given at the first stop, there is something someone needs to figure out to determine the next set of coords which makes this a puzzle cache.

As such it is a puzzle or mystery cache. If you listed this a a multi rather than a puzzle/mystery cache you would tick off those people who hate puzzle caches.

As a general rule if your cache uses "clues" it is a puzzle/mystery cache. Whether it is a regular or multi isn't relevant, it is still a puzzle/mystery cache.