Usfs And Geocaching

Would like to make a suggestion and do not really know how to go about doing it. After a discussion with a USFS official about the benefits of Geocaching, I thought it might be a good idea for Geocaching.com to add some kind of record keeping device to determine how much trash is collected at each cache site or through CITO events.

Currently our local forest service office does not allow geocaches because they claim they are; permanent structures on pubic property, trash, and create unnecessary trails in forested areas.

My argument with them is that unlike other users of forest service property, Geocachers love the thrill of the search and find and hate finding trash. Therefore we typically pick up trash to and from the cache site.

With some type of collection device, we as cachers could record how much trash is collected to use as data to promote the sport. What do you think?

If I remember correctly the USFS does allow Geocaching see this LINK for a list of USFS lands that do. While on the one hand the USFS may allow land managers at the local level to have the final word. You may want to write USFS headquarters for a copy of their policy regarding Geocaching. Perhaps you can trade this guy a CITO for a cache, use the cache as a test and see if he gets more comfortable with it. Rangers tend to be by amazed how much trash is actually removed in a single CITO.

Edited by magellan315

I have two caches in the Talladega National Forest here in Alabama. If one forest doesn't allow them, I just move on to another area for my hide.

I hosted a CITO about 4 months ago and had to keep records for the city, as the CITO was in a city park. I filled out a form describing the number of volunteers, the number of hours worked, the number of bags of trash, etc. It was alot of work, but it was neat to be able to look back and know exactly what we had accomplished.

We've had two large CITO events here in Southern California in the last year. Both event were in cooperation with the USFS in the Cleveland National Forest.......they were both a huge success and our relationship with the USFS couldn't be better.

Our CITO event on Saturday hauled out at least 3 or 4 dumptrucks (yes DUMPTRUCK...big) from a local watershed, we had a little over 40 participants!

PassingWind