Hello, Getting Started

1968flareside

Well, I found out about this wonderful sounding adventure from a friend at work. I work in the great outdoors of Southern Arizona and tend to use my gps daily. So, this sounded fun.

My son and I are going out tomorrow morning and are going to try our luck on Mt. Lemmon, AZ. I have the following caches in mind....

TucsonTop GCB70, Bear Wallow GCJNX8, O_dog #1 GC2F1E, A Pirate Looks At 40 GCNXQQ, and Bigelow GCJH12. We are both very excited and are getting ready tonight. A camelbak and gps for each of us and plenty of snacks for the trails. Just trying to figure out what to leave if I find any caches.

Anyway, hello and great to have found this site and www.geocaching.com. We will post up our results here and in the logs. :P

Welcome to the sport. The first you are looking for looks like some hard terrain. The second one is probably a good one to start with. The 3rd one is not one you might want to try as a beginner. The 4th looks like a good one to try also.

Start with low difficulty caches until you get the feel of it, otherwise you may get discouraged.

Good luck and happy hunting!

El Diablo

Just trying to figure out what to leave if I find any caches.

do a search on "swag" and you will find threads with lots of suggestions on good cache swag, however you have no time to be buying stuff if you are on your way out caching. Most anything around your house that you think may have value to someone is appropriate.

You will likely find that many of the caches you visit have things in them that you consider junk. The motto here seems to be "leave a cache better than you found it" so you might consider leaving items that have a value of 1-2 dollars or items that are of a personal nature such as something you make as a hobby if applicable. Personal items are always appreciated.

Things that seem to go quickly are most any type of compass, foreign coins, magnets, lightly used kid's toys (if the cache is kid accessible) CDs or DVDs you no longer want, books, non expiring coupons and stuff like that.

While some frown upon it AA batteries seems to be quickly snatched up as well.

Also, there is no harm in caching without anything to trade. Just go find a few and see what you think and take your time figuring out what you wish to leave behind. It can be something cheap and random or it can be something custom and personal, it is up to you.

Batteries, in my opinion, are fine in a cache in an area without extreme temperatures, and in a cache that gets regula visitors. However, if a battery sits in a cache for too long there is a chance that it will leak or explode, leaving the cache a total mess.

1968Flareside, I like the user name. I take it the name comes from your trusty steed?

Oh, and Welcome to the fun!

welcome_wagon.jpg

Yes, 1968flareside is a nickname I use on several truck forums for my 1968 flare side Ford pickup that is in a constant state of resoration!!! :o

Thanks for the welcomes!

We ran out of time to go to all, but did manage the first one. We did find "TucsonTop GCB70" without much trouble. I did take some pictures with the digital, but have not uploaded yet. I will get that done in the next few days. It was awesome! We are hooked! Next time I will bring something to trade out. We didn't have anything, so we didn't take anything. The only thing I left was my comments in the cache logbook.

Well, went out again today. We found two more. The first was A Pirate Looks At 40 by Sonoran Privateers (GCNXQQ). It was a fairly easy find with great views. The second was Bigelow Geocache by the woodcutter (GCJH12). That one was a little more difficult to find in the mounds of rocks and such. Anyway, great times as usual! I am going to California for a 5 day trip over the July 4th Holiday. I hope to get some caching done there too!