So I Did My First One...

Robbie1973

So my wife and I did our first one and it was a blast...but, she slipped/tripped and put her hands out to stop herself, problem being she grabbed a barbedwire fence, so I signed the log book fast as she was suddenly more interested in finding a band aid :mad:. However, it was fun searching around.

Here is my question though, we just drove to the area and then drove around watching the gps slowly change, and turning directions we thought would help us. Is this the right way, or should we be punching coordinates into the GPS?

Thanks

Wow, congratulations on your first find! I hope your wife's hand gets better soon.

Yes, it is easier if you punch in the coordinates before you go out to find the cache. That way, you can use the "GoTo" feature, and the little arrow can point the general direction of where you're going :mad: It's a little easier than watching the numbers get smaller until they match...less driving around we've found. We also look for caches in areas we already know, that way, it decreases the drive time even less.

I hope you 2 find many more together! Keep reading the forums about how to find caches, and how GPSr's work, and you'll learn lots!

Is this the right way, or should we be punching coordinates into the GPS?

Robbie, you definitely want to put the coordinates into your GPS. Then you can use the different views on the GPS to take you to the cache. I have a little Garmin Etrex and basically there are two views you can use:

- The map view - which shows where you are in relation to the cache and you follow the line closer and closer until you're there. ( I don't like this one - but it is useful when you have a lot of caches loaded because it can show you nearby caches on your route.)

- The compass view - it will show the NSEW letters and a little arrow that points which way you need to go. Just follow the arrow and it will also count down how close you are to the spot. Once you get within around 10 feet of the cache, start looking around (all GPS's can be off 10 - 40 feet, so you have to look around.)

That's the quick and easy answer I have. Someone may come in later with a link to the Frequently Asked Questions for you. I guess I just wanted to hear myself type tonight!

And - oh yeah - get your wife a bandaid and make sure her tetanus booster is up to date!

Happy Caching!

Momma Marauder

You might want to try this thread just a couple away from your post here. It has some good information in it posted by others to help those of us who are new to this stuff.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=100820

I hope it helps.

Oh, and here's the Frequently Asked Questions, ( FAQ ), link Mama Marauder said:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=8749 Hmm...I'll have to go back and check it out myself. There's some things I didn't know!

Edited by TCE

Hope your wife is healing well. I agree with everyone else that you should put the coordinates into your GPSr, but wanted to add two things:

1) If your GPSr has a cable to connect to a computer, it's much easier to put the coordinates in that way rather than keying them in by hand. See this Resources link and a list of desktop software you can use (I highly recommend GSAK - a very capable program, although a bit complex when you're starting out).

2) The GPS knows where you are, but it doesn't know which way you're facing unless you're moving (it then assumes you're facing the direction you're moving in :P).

So when you're using the compass view mentioned by Momma Marauder, remember that the little arrow will only be pointing in the right direction if you're moving (unless you have a more high end GPS unit with a built in compass, like the eTrex Vista or the GPSMAP 60CS). If you stop moving, the compass needle will jump around, and you'll end up doing the "drunken bee dance", not usually the best way to find a cache! :D