Geocaching Mode On Garmin's

I am trying to decide which Gps to buy and have narrowed it down to the GPSMAP 60CS and the GPSMAP 76CS. I see they both have geocache modes. Does this mean I can download the geocache information so I don't have to print out pages for each cache? My old GPS 12 can download the LOC waypoint files now and I was hoping to find a gps that could hold more than just the waypoints.

Both of those units will allow you to use the geocache waypoints in a special mode but you will not have the details that you are referring to. I use a Palm m515 along with the 76CS to keep things paperless. Download the manual for the 76CS from the Garmin site and refer to pages 37 and 65. That will tell you what you can do with the Geocache mode. I don't know of any unit that will allow more than the waypoint.

Ernie

Edited by ErnieD1125

If you download GPX files, the geocaching mode will only give you the name of the cache, the waypoint, and of course the coordinates.

I don't use GSAK, I guess I am to lazy, but it is my understanding that if you configure it to do so it will also give you the rating, cache type and part of the clue.

I use a PDA for all that information. What I really like is that in geocaching mode the GPS keeps track of the caches I find each day, and there is room to type a small note on the cache page itself reminding me what I did.

:D

If you download GPX files, the geocaching mode will only give you the name of the cache, the waypoint, and of course the coordinates.

...and cache owner's name. The field is limited to 32 positions (if I recall correctly). As Night Stalker mentioned, it can be tweaked using GSAK and some people use it to add the terrain and difficulty levels. As far as getting the cache page and hints on it, no.

What the mode does do nicely is take your found caches and sticks them into a bucket so you have a list if what you found when you get home. Also when you've found a cache and marked it found it will ask you if you want to go to the next closest cache. If you click on YES, it will do a GO TO to that cache. Nice for those multi cache days.

Ok..thanks for the info, are the Magellan 400, 500, and 600 the same also?

The 4/5/600 display a bit more information, but still not enough to replace datasheets or a PDA. The explorist will take gpx files via desktop software such as the included Geocache Manager or (better) GSAK and create Geocache POIs that include the name, cache ID, owner, type, coords, placement date, last found date, difficulty, terrain, and hint--but only the first 50 characters of the hint are displayed, and no description nor logs. Icons are kinda cool; they are based upon the cache type.

Another drawback: you cannot edit or delete geocache POIs on the GPS. Gotta send a whole new file over. There is a limit of 200 POIs per file, but the SD card allows for storage of many files.

The 4/5/600 display a bit more information, but still not enough to replace datasheets or a PDA.

Embra is (as usual) right on the money with this answer.

Unfortunately for us, the GPS guys tend to lean toward fixed "worst case" limits for things like cache names and hints. So no matter what number they pick as the limit, there will be _some_ cache placer somewhere that makes a hint or a description or whatever that happens to just exactly get cut off in the wrong place.

For a diehard cacher, it's an asymptote. (You knew that high school math was going to come back to haunt you, didn't you?) You kind of pick the point on the curve where the GPS delivers as much data as it can, and then you whip out the PDA/paper to get the rest of the data for the steep part of the graph - you know, those caches with the 13 kilobyte hint while you're clinging to the side of a bluff 300 miles from home.

Then there's the tippy curve of that graph that can't be solved with pocket queries in your PDA anyway...