Distance Question

Yamar

I've been searching the rules for specific details about the 512 ft rule trying to answer this question (hence the reason for the other questions because I've been doing a critical review). The problem is the guidelines don't answer it, and my local reviewer doesn't do exceptions (as previously mentioned, this is probably a good thing IMHO to avoid confusion).

I found a plaque the other day that completely startled me. I had no idea about this piece of local history. But it's 450 feet from the start of another multi. I can't make it a virtual, of course, but I was thinking about making it a multi where the final cache would be father away from the conflicting one (of course). However, the guidelines only talk about distance generically and don't reference points along the line.

Is it distance from start to start?

Is it distance from any point to any point?

Is it distance from any point along a line to any other point along a line for the other cache?

(eg, if 1 multi has a .2 mile gap between the two points, is another cache allowed right at the .1 mile point in between?)

I realize that most approvers don't even have knowledge about start end and middle points, but some do and wondered what the official ruling is on this topic?

As I understand it, with rare exceptions, all POINTS of a multi must be at least 528 feet from all other waypoints including caches and points of other multi's. If you have a unique situation and feel like it deserves an exception - ask your local reviewer and explain it completely.

Thank god it isn't from all points in a line in between points or vast streches of land could be consumed by some long distance multis!!!

Edited to remove a comment some found offensive (it wasn't supposed to be. Huge appologies if you thought otherwise). Adding more smilies.

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Edited by Yamar
I think there's a reason they are called "cache" submissions.

I prefer paypal also.  Our local reviewer adds zeros to the checks I mail in.

Thats because I taught him well. He has to send me my cut of all the "donations" he gets.

Edited by LaPaglia

Anyway, question answered (distance from any point to any point). Thanks for the info. That's what I suspected but just noticed it wasn't in the "guidelines". IMHO, it should probably be put in there just for clarity sake.

(since the answer was found, I'll close the thread)