Lowrance Disappointment

:):):)

Lowrance Disappointment

:):):)

After looking at the forms for over a week and reviewing products I bought a Lowrance PhD. The unit itself works great but the mapping software has been nothing but trouble.

So if you can help please do so.

Problem:

I registered my SD card with the mapping software. When I ask it to create a map it comes up with a little window informing me that this is copyrighted and that I should not interrupt the process. At the button say click “OK” to continue. Well I do this and after a minute it says “please insure a card is inserted to register”. ?????? Wait it was already registered. I click the “ok” button again and it just returns back to normal state just as I just launched the program. I can even go into tools – card registry and it shows the card plugged in. So, what gives?????

Personally I‘m almost at the point of regretting buying the unit.

Things to note for those who might be looking at purchasing one.

1. The unit is rated waterproof to IPX7 standard. The battery cover is a week point. This is flimsy and has large potential of allowing water to leak into the compartment with the battery and SD card.

2. While a few people made a note of it – Lowrance is requiring a SD card reader made by LEI. This item cost more that one you can buy at a store.

3. The MapCreat 6 series software does not import .loc files. You have to us a converter to switch the .loc file over to a coma separated value txt file.

4. The manuals are very vague and unclear about this process,

5. and from above utilizing the software is not so user friendly.

Not trying to get people to argue here about GPS units -- just would like some support and to let others who are looking at buying a Lowrance have a heads up.

Ouch! Sorry to hear of your difficulties with the software :)

I've been using an iFinder Pro for a long time and have really liked it, but don't have the MapCreate software so, can't help you with that. Other than suggest you can direct your question over to the Yahoo iFinder users group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ifinder_gps

Perhaps they can help. Or, here at this site a few other guys use the iFinder & perhaps the software too. Hope you get your problem solved.

By the way, what Operating System is your PC using? You ARE using the Lowrance LEI supplied card reader correct?

So if you can help please do so.

Problem:

I registered my SD card with the mapping software.  When I ask it to create a map it comes up with a little window informing me that this is copyrighted and that I should not interrupt the process. At the button say click “OK” to continue.  Well I do this and after a minute it says “please insure a card is inserted to register”.  ??????  Wait it was already registered. I click the “ok” button again and it just returns back to normal state just as I just launched the program.  I can even go into tools – card registry and it shows the card plugged in.  So, what gives?????

Do you have registered card in card reader when you trying to do that? MapCreate can build your custom map only if it can see that card in the card reader.

Things to note for those who might be looking at purchasing one.

1. The unit is rated waterproof to IPX7 standard.  The battery cover is a week point.  This is flimsy and has large potential of allowing water to leak into the compartment with the battery and SD card.

Not best, but I'm OK with that.

2. While a few people made a note of it – Lowrance is requiring a SD card reader made by LEI.  This item cost more that one you can buy at a store.

Copyright protection stuff. Nothing we can do about that. BTW, Lowrance sells maps in two packages - with card reader and without it. In first case card reader cost about $20. You could also buy iFinder (any model) in Plus package - with maps, card reader and memory card.

3. The MapCreat 6 series software does not import .loc files.  You have to us a converter to switch the .loc file over to a coma separated value txt file.

Neither do MapSource from Garmin or MapSend from Magellan. Only Magellan eXplorists 400/500/600 bundled with Geocache Manager software which could handle that.

Easy way to handle this for iFinder is using GPSBabel for converting from .loc or .gpx to Lowrance .usr file format. Look here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=98802

What process?

Not worth than other.

Edited by Hoary
suggest you can direct your question over to the Yahoo iFinder users group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ifinder_gps

Thanks will try that.

By the way, what Operating System is your PC using? You ARE using the Lowrance LEI supplied card reader correct?

OS is XP sp2 -- and that card reader is LEI

Do you have registered card in card reader when you trying to do that? MapCreate can build your custom map only if it can see that card in the card reader.

Yes, I stated that in the original problem -- the software even says that its plugged in.

What process?

The process of utilizing 2 different software programs to get waypoints into the maps, which I still can’t make anyhow.

OS is XP sp2 -- and that card reader is LEI

sp2 could be a cause of the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know any quick fixes for that, sometimes it depends on computer hardware and other stuff. I would recommend to read this article:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/column/20050414/

and after that dig through articles here:

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results...sp2+usb+problem

The process of utilizing 2 different software programs to get waypoints into the maps, which I still can’t make anyhow.

I think everybody on this forum do that.

I have two Lowrances currently. When I bought the first one I looked at the software options and found that the Map Create 6.2 was "unencumbered" by the restrictions you are fighting with Mapcreate 6.3.

I bought the 6.2 software separately. It can use any SD card/reader. It doesn't try to register the card. I don't believe the maps are any less up to date with 6.2 or 6.3.

For my money the iFinder Pro and above units are the equal of any handheld, and that hosed up idea with Mapcreate 6.3 is going to hurt Lowrance. I would return that package tell them why, and buy a 6.2 package. 6.2 will work with your unit and any card reader that reads/writes SD cards. You may have to go direct to Lowrance to get your money back, but it is in their interest to fix this fast before the package burns their reputation in these forums.

You'll be a happy camper with 6.2.

3. The MapCreat 6 series software does not import .loc files.  You have to us a converter to switch the .loc file over to a coma separated value txt file.

Neither do MapSource from Garmin or MapSend from Magellan. Only Magellan eXplorists 400/500/600 bundled with Geocache Manager software which could handle that.

That's not true. I can import them directly into Mapsource, or into my Garmin unit without any conversion.

Very true. I had to get instructions from this forum. The process was nowhere in the manual that I could find.

The battery cover is a week point. This is flimsy and has large potential of allowing water to leak into the compartment with the battery and SD card

Agreed. See my review for the Go2 in Today's Cacher. The H20 has the a similar battery cover and I assume all the iFinders do.

You get used to it, but its no Garmin.

That all being said, my experince with the iFinder H20 has been generally positive. I would recommend it to most geocachers if they are looking for an inexpensive GPS with a memory card.

Edited by briansnat

I use mapcreate 6.2 and have none of the issues you are referring to. As a matter of fact, I don't even have a card reader, per se. I just put the chip in my digital camera, connect it with usb, and presto, instant card reader. Works great.

Ok, thanks for the information all. I finally got through to tech support at Lowrace and found out the card reader while working was not working 100% correctly. here is a basic run down for those who might want to know.

In my computer the card reader showed up as a removable drive. The card reader also showed up in Mapcreate as well.

Here the catch -- while looking at the drive in my computer it should say "SD" and drive letter -- not removable drive.

How was this fixed -- the driver was removed from the system and then reinstalled. Removed the drive from USB port then reinserted it. Problem fixed

---------------

Now to load waypoints into the map.....

I am sorry to hear you have been having problems. I have been using the iFinder Pro for some time now. I also have Garmin, Magellan, and PDA-based GPS units, so I have some point of reference. While I don't think the iFinder is the best unit out there, it is a very respectable unit for the price. If I had one major gripe, it would be having to pull the batteries out to get at the SD card. (But, at least it has an SD card.!)