Printing Off Maps

i want to print off some maps to attach to my cache sheet print offs, to take with me to the Carry on Camping Event in the Lake District this week (just so we don't get lost as much as we usually do lol

where do you all print your maps from?

i have tried mapquest and street maps, but they have huge adverts on the maps i have printed, i was wanting to print around 40 maps out so this is wasting a lot of ink and the maps are running onto 2 pages, i cannot seem to get the geo maps to work at all maybe because i am not a premium member?

any help with printing some mpas off would be appreciated

mandy

if you cut and past a map from street map you can delete what you dont want, resize the maps and then you will be able to get more of them on the pages, don't foget to resize them accordingly when you firstsearch for the map.

foxy

Ordnance Survey's Get-A-Map lets you save the map (just find the area you want, click on print/save/copy in the top right corner), which you can then import to a document, re-size as you wish, and print out.

I personally like streetmap, as it adds an arrow pointing to the location you searced for. If you click on the "Print Friendly" box (which looks like an advert for canon just below the zoom buttons), you can print it without all the adverts (except the canon one obviously!). The only problem with streetmap is that you can't save the whole map, just the individual squares.

multimap gives a print friendly version when you click the 'print' button, or you can right click-save as to save the whole map.

The OS site gives 1:25k mapping, the other 2 will do 1:50k OS or A-Z street level maps.

Hope this helps

i want to print off some maps to attach to my cache sheet print offs, to take with me to the Carry on Camping Event in the Lake District this week (just so we don't get lost as much as we usually do lol

If you're coming to the camping event I suggest tagging along with a group of us.

As for printing off maps, the other suggestions certainly do work. I did it this way for about 18 months until John Stead showed me his Ipaq. (No phnars please Rutson)

Quite a few threads have been put on here regarding paperless caching. I'm sure we can convince you to give up on paper caching and go all electronic. Will save in paper anyway. See you there. Andrew

The only problem with streetmap is that you can't save the whole map, just the individual squares.

To get around this, when you've got the map you'd like to save, press the 'Print Screen' (Prt Scr) key on your keyboard, open up paint (or similar), select paste, to paste from the clipboard, then use the crop tool to crop just the map, move it up to the top left of the paint window, select Image/Attributes and resize to 600x600 pixels. Then save your new map image.

Sean

The only problem with streetmap is that you can't save the whole map, just the individual squares.

To get around this, when you've got the map you'd like to save, press the 'Print Screen' (Prt Scr) key on your keyboard, open up paint (or similar), select paste, to paste from the clipboard, then use the crop tool to crop just the map, move it up to the top left of the paint window, select Image/Attributes and resize to 600x600 pixels. Then save your new map image.

Sean

I do the Prt Scr thing too.

But I paste straight into MS Word.

You can crop the image so that you end up with just the map.

If you go back to SM, you can scroll the map, screen grab it again, then paste that into Word too and actually join up the individual grabs.

A days walking usually fits onto one side of A4 with all the margins set to minimum.

With 40 maps to do, that sounds like a lot of mouse work to me! Here's my approach...

*) Create a search on GeocacheUK around the point I'm visiting (Eg see this one)

*) Click "File Download", select "HTML with minimal links" and a small number of waypoints (say 10 for a day, 50 for a week's trip), and click "Download!".

*) This will bring up a page which has just the links to the cache details page and to the map on Streetmap. (Eg http://stats.guk2.com/caches/down_html_les...127307&limit=10).

*) Fire up Adobe Acrobat (the full expensive (or pirated!) version, not the viewer)

*) Click "Create PDF from webpage, paste in the URL you created above, say to get 2 levels and away you go.

*) You'll then get a single PDF file containing cache details and maps for all caches near where you're going, and all from about a dozen mouse clicks!

*) If you're worried about printing costs, fiddle with the page size (chopping a couple of inches off the width squeezes more on a page), and/or delete any pages with nothing useful on them before printing. Here's one I prepared earlier (1.3MB).

With OS get a map there is no need to download the high def version (top right print/save option) Hover over the map on the screen and you can save the map alone, definition is good enough for caching.

If you need to join maps, Irfanview has that facility, used to use it all the time before I went paperless.

Bob