Ridiculous Questions Re: Geko 201 And Legend

Hello All and Thanks in Advance for advice and help.

I'm new to Geocaching, having found my first cache a couple of weeks ago using a borrowed GPSr.

I'm trying to decide on a budget-priced GPSr, and have narrowed it down to the Garmin Geko 201 and Garmin Legend. I know general concensus is the Legend over the Geko due to mapping capabilities BUT I have one odd consideration.

My nephew is absolutely hell-bent on the Geko because of the games it comes with. This has thrown my wife's support to the Geko because she likes the idea of him being able to use it when we're not around to go caching with him (she has a good point).

Does the Legend come with the games? If not, can they be added to its memory? I've seen nothing about this in research, so I know the answer is probably "no", but I'm hoping against hope that it does so I can have a best of both worlds thing.

On a semi-related note, the Legend comes with the cable required to connect it to the computer, and the Geko does not. What type of cable is required to hook Geko to computer? Is it a cable I'm likely to already own, such as a USB 2 or FireWire, or some oddball GPS-specific-cable that I will definately have to purchase separately?

Thanks again for all help!

Matt McDonald

I think it does come with Games. But someone with a legend is going to have to look them up and tell you. The games on my GPS V may or may not be simialar (and No I never play them, they are not even close to the ones you can get for a game boy). Better infrormation below: \|/

Edited by Renegade Knight

I've looked on my legend and cannot find any games. if they are on there, someone knows way more about this gizmo that i do. (I even watched the instruction video i picked up while doing a walmart cache... never mentioned any games)

wait, the geko has games? <jealous>

Sorry, but the Legend does NOT have games; and I don't believe you can add them either. I have a Legend myself and prefer it over the Geko for several reasons: mapping ability, larger screen, and the use of AA batteries (Geko uses AAA).

The Geko uses the same cables as the Legend. They're proprietary Garmin cables that will only fit the eTrex/Geko series. The PC cable is an RS232 serial.

If you can afford it, get both and make everyone happy. :( Sharing one GPSr amongst several people is not as fun as each having their own. If you do get both, the PC cable supplied with the Legend could also be used for the Geko 201.

Besides, it doesn't hurt to have a backup GPSr and the Geko would be an excellent choice for that role.

Here's my approach: Games on a Gecko encourage INDOOR activity, while the lack of games on a Legend encourages OUTDOOR activity (hiking, exploring, etc.). Geocaching is a game all by itself, and it encourages kids to get outside and find activities that will strengthen them physically and mentally. Give your nephew a life-long gift and get the legend (or, to put it another way, deny him the Gecko).

Games on a Gecko encourage INDOOR activity

Actually, half of the games require that you be outside - or at least in a large open space with good reception. You have to physically move around to hunt down the geckos that appear in one game or to return to various grid squares to test your memory in another. These games are actually a pretty good way to get an introduction to the GPS, but I'd still recommend the Legend instead for the additional utility of having maps on the screen.

I have been using a Geko201 for about 1.5 years and find it fine for geocaching. I can not make any comparisons to others because I have not used any others. Data entry manally is easy enough but if I could download I may be happier. Although I've never done it. I have considered purchasing a cable I think it's about $30. I wonder if it is easier though. Keep in mind it is a serial cable if you have a very recent pc many laptops don't even come with a serial port anymore. Pretty outdated connection method I guess. To answer your initial question re games. Take my word for it the games are a compleate waste of time, not accurate and discustingly boring. They are all out door games on an open lot of various sizes (depending on setting). Playing one will make you look to an outsider like a drunken fool looking for a dropped bottle. I can assure you that no self respecting (read; selfconcious teenager) individual could play these outdoors in public without feeling like a fool. I tried them all once when I first got the unit and have never used them again. As someone else said Geocaching in itself is a game and the "virtual" games as in any other context can't even compare to the real thing. Bottom line is I am very pleased with the unit would buy one again and have recommended it to other people. Look at the features it has compare them to other units and what you need but I would not for a moment even consider the games to be a "feature".