Cache placeing advice

bmfOldGuy

I want to place my first cache, there is a cool spot by my house, but the area is used by hunters in the hunting season, and by off-roaders(motorcycle, quad) year round, hunting has a start and end date, and there is no hunting on Sunday, but the offroad AH's use it year round, although the morning is usually quiet.

So, the question is, would this be a OK place to place a cache, with the appropriate warnings issued, or should I find a better place. I don't want any body to get shot or hurt looking for a dumb plastic box.

quote:
Originally posted by K618:

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Hunters look for game. Game moves. Caches don't. ...clip...

CachERs move and, if they happen to be wearing "game colored" clothing, it could be a bit "gamey". The red vest/hat could be useful

Good point. Guys running around with guns always make me look over my shoulder. Of course if a pack of hunters makes camp near yours, when they ask you if you had any luck just mention your 'sound shot' 'I didn't see it but I heard where it was at and let 'em have it'

That save you the trouble of looking over your shoulder as much.

Wherever you go there you are.

I'm a hunter. When I'm in my tree stant looking for Deer, it really doesn't bother me if someone moves through the woods after about 9:00 am. By that time the game have moved from their bedding area to their feeding area. (Many are nocturnal, especially the larger bucks.) If i have a person moving arond in the woods, it scares the deer ... but that is not a bad thing. It keeps them moving, and when they move is when they can be seen.

Theother time deer move is near sundown. I don't expect a geo cacher to be moving through the woods in the winter months at that time.

I see no conflict between hunters and geo cachers.

Almost none of the hunting accidents involve a hunter accidentally shooting a person. The vast majority of accidents are hunters falling asleep in their tree stands and then falling out.

I would definitely put a warning on the cache page telling people not to wear fur coats and antler hats. There is a cache near here and the owner of the cache is also the landowner. He allows hunting and geocaching on his land by appointment so he can coordinate who will be out there. I realize that you have no control over that aspect but you can suggest that cachers dress appropriately. Any real hunter won't shoot at what they can't see and should be aware of the range of their rifle. I have had a bullet whistle over my head before though. Hikers and hunters share the woods all the time. Shouldn't be an issue.