Magellan Tracker And Zire 31

I own 2 magellan trackers and I really like them. I can't afford to upgrade everything anyways,

But what I'd like to do is connect the Tracker to my zire31. My son says he might be able to make me cables but doesn't want to take a chance of frying either of them. I can't seem to find anything on the subject. Can it be done and how?

I have a topo program for the zire and it allows for the connection.

Please help?!?!

Thanks

I also have a Zire 31 and was wanting to know what topo program you have that works on the Zire 31?

For the cable to work either the GPS or the Zire 31 must have a program installed or firmware to manage the connection.

I have read post where they talk about using a nul-modem to make the cable work between GPS and Palm

Lost & Found,

I posted a similar request earlier this week for help finding cables to connect my Garmin eTrex to my Tungsten C PDA. I didn't get any replies either. So I started looking on the internet and found the following sites that sell cables to hook GPSr's to PDAs:

Blue-Hills Innovations

GPS City

I haven't ordered anything yet - but it's on my list of things to do this weekend.

Good luck!

cjf

I think you will have a lot of difficulties with the Zire 31, as it only has a USB port. Getting a client USB device (like a PDA) to talk to a serial only device like the Magellan GPS's you mention, without a PC in between, is not a straightforward matter of wiring a cable correctly. Other Palms (mostly older ones, but some newer ones like the Tungsten C mentioned) have connectors that include a serial connector, for which a cable can just be wired.

Keith

I got my sportrak color connected to a palm m505. googled and found a site that sells connecting wires. with cachmate means I can upload the waypoints to my unit and I can also use it to navigate and see satilites on the palm. I can search closes caches to the gps postion. (only got the wires yesterday and so far that is all i know what to do) but means I can have on the palm over 500 waypoint (broken down in different categories) and upload them to get around the 500 limit. (ie 400 toronto, then 400 ottawa) I do not have mapping on my palm but am looking.

I also have a Zire 31 and was wanting to know what topo program you have that works on the Zire 31?

For the cable to work either the GPS or the Zire 31 must have a program installed or firmware to manage the connection.

I have read post where they talk about using a nul-modem to make the cable work between GPS and Palm

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/pocket.cfm

This seems to work pretty good on my zire31, but can't tell you if it would work with the gps attached. Pretty neat program tho.