Team Accounts Linked To Individual Accounts

SpankytheWizard

Would it be possible to modify the database to create a new account that would be a Team Account with Usernames linked to it?

Then, when a team found a cache it could log the find and check off the individual accounts that were in on the find so the log entry and credit for the find will also appear under their individual accounts. For example, I set up TeamAlpha that has MemberA, MemberB and MemberC. Then, Members A and B go out and find a cache. The find would be recorded under TeamAlpha and the check boxes for MemberA and MemberB checked before submitting. This would then post entries and find credit under the Team and the two member accounts without having to enter data three separate times. For groups (and families) that have quite a few members this would be a great time saver. I think it would also foster the creation of Teams and enhance the camaraderie of the sport. It would also help Moms and Dads help their little ones receive credit for cache finds without having to enter separate logs.

Edited by SpankytheWizard

Interesting idea, I kinda like it.

How would you administer the Team thing though? Let's say Team FoundIt was created, and user FounfItGuy1 adminned it. If he quits for some reason, and Team FoundIt continues, how would that be addressed?

I think the 'Adminship ' should be transferrable, by the current admin, or if there is a dispute/geocide, a Groundspeak customer service froggy could do it.

The ability to delete users would be good too.

Well, I would imagine the teams would be of like minded people and I guess in some ways I am primarily thinking of families. If you have one PC (even with broadband) it still gets a little time consuming to have everyone enter logs. Also, small kids need a little help. My original thinking did not concern itself with who has overall "control" of the Team Account. My preference would be for everyone on the team to have access to log an entry under the Team account. I guess a designated, or agreed upon, " primary logger" would be sufficient. Of course, logic dictates that if you find a cache individually you log it that way - not as a "team" find with one member participating. The team concept is there to give credit to the team and ease the log entries for everyone involved. I am sure a thousand holes can be punctured into this but I am sure it would work under the same honor system that holds most of geocaching.com together.

I would hope some of your scenarios wouldn't develop. However, as I read through other forums it is evident that cachers are of varied opinions just like the rest of the world. Geocide? Death while geocaching? If so, it sounds like a pretty darn good way to go!

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea - I just like to think through problems sometimes, and try to develop a bit of a solution (such as admin transferrability and such). That's all - not a criticism of the idea...

I would hope some of your scenarios wouldn't develop. However, as I read through other forums it is evident that cachers are of varied opinions just like the rest of the world. Geocide? Death while geocaching? If so, it sounds like a pretty darn good way to go!

I agree! :blink:

This is something exactly like I've been wishing we had. My wife and I make up one team. I do all the "paper work" while she just enjoys the hunt. After a while we can't remember which hunts we shared. And no matter how things really was - she always wins any arguments! :blink:

I've taken my brothers, grandkids and nieces all geocaching and some of those have taken it up full time. The ones who took it up later have asked me if I recalled which caches we visited. Under this system each would have their own name under the Team name and they'll be ready to go. If and when they take up the hobby they'll have a few finds already under their belts.

I think the player's individual accounts would remain exactly as they do in the present. The Team group name can be set up like a special class of cache. It can be transferred to another "owner" or dissolved without affecting any stats of the geocachers. Geocachers could also join other teams without affecting thier stats. I can join my own family team in California but when I visit Minnesota I can help out my Minnesota's family team.

Hmmm, I don't know where I'm going with this but it does give one plenty of room to think.

..or just make this looser. Using a "Guild" model from online games, we could just set up a new "team" account, and add in individual accounts as members of the team. The team stats page would then show totalled stats from all the team members.

I.e a very loose association..no team logs, just a way to group all the stats together in one place automagically.

Would be a useful function for small family teams and larger teams to local associations.

Edited by maingray

Add me to the "no thanks" category...I'd rather read everyone's individual experience.

So from now on we could see:

TNLNSL

Signed by:

+StarBrand, +The Cow Spots, +Sissy-n-CR, hydee, +Damenace, +Fergus, +SGM & MRS D, +High-Tech Redneck, A^2, +WascoZooKeeper, jhwjohn, coolclay, +briansnat, +BlackyV, +emptydog, Eric K, +Bill D (wwh), evilC, +junglehair, mi&bl, 60North, +cache-tech, +k7-wave, +wimseyguy, mapjunkie, +Mr. 0, +davy boy, +Ttepee, Sparticus, +blazerfan, +chubby forest monkey, +splashman, +Jamie Z, +Marcie/Eric, kashia, +Benhamtroll, The Shrink, & Rainbow Girl, +Baston, +AuntieWeasel, +Cunning Planners, +dogbreathcanada, +Team Perks, +cache_test_dummies, +rutson, +Skip_, +Artemis, joegeodesist, +Team Nazgul, Inukshuk, +GlobalRat, +suzylou, +gnbrotz, +Team GPSaxophone, +Gary & Jane, +popop, epeli, +southdeltan, +The Scout, +Learned Gerbil, +piper28, Wild Chicken, +mtndave, +shinebar, +reveritt, fourdogs, Dagg, +Spencersb, heikkiuu, +Gavotteers, +density524, +EScout, +Robespierre, +geodinks, zwoelf, +CT Trampers, +The Wombles, +SD Rowdies, +Globetrotter.uk, +Jodel, chap183, Team Tayjam, +splicingdan, lefty2448, ArtMan, +pjmorse, Murphy T. Fox, +cameltrekor, +minstrelcat, Delaypat, +Laogai, +CuplaKiwis, +pwcorg, +Seamus, +LBSurfer, +DavidT21 & Fisherwoman, +jacques0, +geoholic28, yakbuggy, javaa, +Prime Suspect, +Daisy&me, +CW Iams, +lycos112, +BedlingtonDuo, RandLD, +Eckington, +KennyHannahJacob, Hurtz Donut, +rufty tufty boys, blue5, +VegasCacheHounds, Ithaca1937, +CurmudgeonlyGal, +G'n,G, StripeMark, davester, MisterT, +flask, +Doughball, +ferryfax, +MT Fellwalker, +Sidereus Nuncius, +clearpath, +WestCoastAdmin, +GeoCraig, Pinster56, +LutherMan, +Dr123d, +ozarksjim, HD462, marco2206, +Buddaman, +The Likely Lads - Ian and Trevor, yoopers, +naffita, +heather3781, +Cheminer Will, +Tired Boy, GeoPhishers, +rldill, +Bird Hunter, +RainbowCache, +gpsjeep, +GeekGirl, +xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy, +AllenLacy, mtlbiker, MURedDawg, +Tharagleb, +Rechercheuse, -Tiger-, +MaisOui & Avrohead, +sept1c_tank, Keystone Approver, +Strapped-4-Cache, Lakritz, +Team BMW-Biker

uhh - no thanks  :P

..or just make this looser. Using a "Guild" model from online games, we could just set up a new "team" account, and add in individual accounts as members of the team. The team stats page would then show totalled stats from all the team members.

I would prefer this way as well. Allowing form letters would be waaay boring.

I would prefer this way as well. Allowing form letters would be waaay boring.

I like this model. It solves a lot of problems.

Add me to the "no thanks" category...I'd rather read everyone's individual experience.

So from now on we could see:

TNLNSL

Signed by:

+StarBrand, +The Cow Spots, +Sissy-n-CR, hydee, +Damenace, +Fergus, +SGM & MRS D, +High-Tech Redneck, A^2, +WascoZooKeeper, jhwjohn, coolclay, +briansnat, +BlackyV, +emptydog, Eric K, +Bill D (wwh), evilC, +junglehair, mi&bl, 60North, +cache-tech, +k7-wave, +wimseyguy, mapjunkie, +Mr. 0, +davy boy, +Ttepee, Sparticus, +blazerfan, +chubby forest monkey, +splashman, +Jamie Z, +Marcie/Eric, kashia, +Benhamtroll, The Shrink, & Rainbow Girl, +Baston, +AuntieWeasel, +Cunning Planners, +dogbreathcanada, +Team Perks, +cache_test_dummies, +rutson, +Skip_, +Artemis, joegeodesist, +Team Nazgul, Inukshuk, +GlobalRat, +suzylou, +gnbrotz, +Team GPSaxophone, +Gary & Jane, +popop, epeli, +southdeltan, +The Scout, +Learned Gerbil, +piper28, Wild Chicken, +mtndave, +shinebar, +reveritt, fourdogs, Dagg, +Spencersb, heikkiuu, +Gavotteers, +density524, +EScout, +Robespierre, +geodinks, zwoelf, +CT Trampers, +The Wombles, +SD Rowdies, +Globetrotter.uk, +Jodel, chap183, Team Tayjam, +splicingdan, lefty2448, ArtMan, +pjmorse, Murphy T. Fox, +cameltrekor, +minstrelcat, Delaypat, +Laogai, +CuplaKiwis, +pwcorg, +Seamus, +LBSurfer, +DavidT21 & Fisherwoman, +jacques0, +geoholic28, yakbuggy, javaa, +Prime Suspect, +Daisy&me, +CW Iams, +lycos112, +BedlingtonDuo, RandLD, +Eckington, +KennyHannahJacob, Hurtz Donut, +rufty tufty boys, blue5, +VegasCacheHounds, Ithaca1937, +CurmudgeonlyGal, +G'n,G, StripeMark, davester, MisterT, +flask, +Doughball, +ferryfax, +MT Fellwalker, +Sidereus Nuncius, +clearpath, +WestCoastAdmin, +GeoCraig, Pinster56, +LutherMan, +Dr123d, +ozarksjim, HD462, marco2206, +Buddaman, +The Likely Lads - Ian and Trevor, yoopers, +naffita, +heather3781, +Cheminer Will, +Tired Boy, GeoPhishers, +rldill, +Bird Hunter, +RainbowCache, +gpsjeep, +GeekGirl, +xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy, +AllenLacy, mtlbiker, MURedDawg, +Tharagleb, +Rechercheuse, -Tiger-, +MaisOui & Avrohead, +sept1c_tank, Keystone Approver, +Strapped-4-Cache, Lakritz, +Team BMW-Biker

uhh - no thanks  :P

I don't know...is that worse than:

May 20 by KoosKoos (154 found)

It's there...almost broke my neck getting to it though. No lotto tickets and I didn't have anything to trade.

May 20 by Cacher B

Found it with KoosKoos and the rest of our team

May 20 by Cacher C

May 20 by Cacher D

May 20 by Cacher E

Etc...

Edit to clarify...I prefer the one big log for a team (even a TNLN) than a bunch of logs saying they're all part of the team.

I also like the guild idea.

Edited by KoosKoos

I can see it being a big problem when the team bust-up happens. Who gets to keep the points ? "I did so come with you guys on that hunt." "No you didn't, you went back to the car after the first waypoint and came over all petulant."

PS: I read somewhere of a state or country (can't remember which) that legalised gay marriage, but forgot to legalise gay divorce. It was a bit messy when the first bust-up came. (I think it was about a week after the marriages became legal; gay people are just as stupid at rushing into marriage as straight people, it seems.)