Next Generation Of Gpsrs

We all were closely watching the Explorist 500/600 series at it launched this spring. Overall, the consensus appears to be mixed reviews, some good stuff, some not-so-good, some folks really happy, others not. But definitely not the next leap we all were hoping for.

What's the time schedule for the next generation of GPSrs and what's on the horizon? Is there anything (i.e., compelling features) that will be coming out that should prevent us from purchasing a new model now? Is Garmin (or any other brands) scheduled for it's next generation anytime soon?

Could be interesting, whatever happens will likely surface here first, I remember the 60 series (monochrome/color) getting leaked here with pictures a LONG time before garmin released them, so hopefully that happens again. Garmin even tried to deny the images were real, all sorts of speculation about photochops and whatnot..but the resleased models looked exactly as the ones someone posted a pic of.

I wonder why modern units still only update once per second. Is that a system limit? It seems that a GPS could be designed to update every 0.1 seconds and provide much more real-time data, especially when moving at high speed.

Jamie

The battery life would suffer big time from that idea though.

1 second is plenty quick. As a matter of fact, I use 2 second update on my ifinder.

I wonder why modern units still only update once per second. Is that a system limit? It seems that a GPS could be designed to update every 0.1 seconds and provide much more real-time data, especially when moving at high speed.

Jamie

Garmins 480 panel mount for aircraft updates 5 times a second so the technology is definitely there and being used.

Some interesting stuff on the referenced web pages. Thanks.

Does anyone know what Garmin's next plans are for it's handhelds? Based on their typical/average timespan between introducing new models, can someone deduce when they should have a new one?