Detailed Hints.....i Dont Like Them

CGT

Yes, the cache is hidden just like that. Out in the open with no cover. You'd think a big white bucket in the forest would be an easy find for anyone. But this cache, GC23, does have a few DNF logs.

At first I thought surely you must be in jest. I looked at the link, and sure enough, DNFs.

That just goes to prove: "Place it, and someone will come to DNF it."

Ah, well, at least the DNFs had some reason behind them, other than "we thrashed around in the woods and couldn't find an obvious big, white bucket."

One of the DNFs was posted by a local caching friend of mine (small caching world, isn't it?), so if I harbored any prejudice on these DNFs, they are beaten out of existence. :)

Here's something that just occurred to me. I might even try it if I place a really devious cache:

Place a semi-detailed hint in a 35mm can, and hide it perhaps 100 yards from the real cache. Put the "Hint cache" coords in the cache's hint section. I.E "Hint is in a film can at..."

Two fun finds for the price of one! (Although it would only count as one because the hint can wouldn't be a separate cache.)

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I STARTED WRITING THIS POST, I LOVE THAT IDEA!!!! This way you are still having to do the work with the GPSr but you can have some good hints if ya want them

I place hints because most people who find my caches are on vacation and in an area they may not return to very soon, or at all, for that matter. It is up to them as to whether they want to use the hint. I am in San Felipe, Baja, Mexico.

When I go geocaching I like to have hints available for the same reason. After not finding the cache with the GPS'r, there is nothing worse than opening the Palm and reading the hint, 'E-Mail me if you want more information'. That isn't very easy if your computer is at home, 200 miles away.

The primary objective for me is to go to new places and see new things. Finding the cache is secondary. Logging the find instead of a DNF is the pleasure.

If a cache was on my way home and I could stop by to give it additional tries because I liked the challenge, that would be fine. But if you have driven quite a distance to get to the cache location, that isn't very practical with the price of gas being what it is now.

You say you use Cachemate. Therefore, you probably use pocket queries. Here's a suggestion: To reduce your stress regarding gas prices and DNFs why not simply do your research before attempting a cache? Are you simply referring to FTF's where you have no logs to fall back on? Well, in this case you only have yourself to blame. Afterall, no one made you try it first. Secondly, with regard to older caches, why not read the previous logs to find out just how long it will take? Chances are, if you're in for a long tedious search, this will be well-documented. If not, perhaps your geocaching skills need improvement.

Regardless of the reasons, shouldn't the cache be "findable." If someone drives out to the country and walks along a trail only to arrive at a jumble of rocks, poison oak, shrubs, and trees that the GPSr says is the location of the small container, shouldn't that person ultimately be able to find the cache? Shouldn't there be a hint for the stumped cacher?

If someone is placing a 4-star cache how could they justify this amount of difficulty if they explain exactly where the cache is? I have a cache placed where at least 7 attempts have been made to find it. No one has succeeded even though I continue to work to make the hint work. I feel great knowing I've created a cache outside-of-the-box that has even stumped a 700+ cacher. And yes, it is a small container amongst rocks, river, and snakes. The tough part is making a hint that makes sense to others. Afterall, you as the cache owner know where it is. You may assume others will catch on right away.

If I've searched for close to an hour, bagged it and found out later someone found it that same day, I'm going to wonder what was wrong with me! Not what was wrong with the cache owner.

Edited by cache-n-dash

LOL you just can't please everyone I guess. How many post comlain about bad usless hints. O'well as said before just don't look at the hint don't look at the cache page just go for it. Most hints I have seen are bearly marginal in helping any way. I guess you must have some people that give really good hints in your area.

cheers

How about a multi with the coor for the next stage written on the back of a piece of bark that is laying on a downed tree?? In a park, filled with trees.

We haven't found it yet, but we did a lot of tramping around and turning over rocks, etc. I am sure the evidence of our searching will live a long time.

This stage had no hint and appears to be about 75feet off.

In this case a little hit of what to hunt for would have been very helpful and saved a lot of frustration.

This stage has a lot of DNFs.