New Cache Listings

Charlie777

Have a curious question. This has happened several times. Why is it that when

I check (sometimes several times a day) on the website under "My Account", on the right hand side where it says "List Newest in [your state]," there may be nothing new listed locally, but then later on that evening, a whole slew of them appear which indicate that they were placed several days prior and people have already found them several days ago. It's extremely aggravating, especially if you're trying to be FTF. Any ideas why this might be happening? Hope I explained this well enough to make sense.

Have a curious question. This has happened several times. Why is it that when

I check (sometimes several times a day) on the website under "My Account", on the right hand side where it says "List Newest in [your state]," there may be nothing new listed locally, but then later on that evening, a whole slew of them appear which indicate that they were placed several days prior and people have already found them several days ago. It's extremely aggravating, especially if you're trying to be FTF. Any ideas why this might be happening? Hope I explained this well enough to make sense.

Just a guess, but your browser might be caching the page. If it comes up empty try clearing your cache, restarting your browser and checking again.

It happens because the volunteer cache reviewers tend to sit down and review caches in bunches. I just finished reviewing a dozen or so. Some were placed on Sunday, some this morning, some late this afternoon.

Also, sometimes caches get put "on hold" while a reviewer's question is addressed by the cache owner. Assume that a satisfactory response is received after e-mails are exchanged over the course of a couple days. Thus, you can see a cache listed on Monday evening that was hidden last Thursday, and first reviewed on Saturday.

A true FTF phreak will keep track of the times when the local reviewer for their area tends to list caches. And an evil reviewer will try to vary the schedule from one week to the next, just to keep 'em guessing. :lol:

If they're just popping up, and have found notes from days ago, the problem is probably a caching (as in computer caching) problem. It could either be your browser, or sometimes your ISP will cache pages (but that's not likely in this case). Check your browser's cache settings. In IE, it's the Settings button in the Internet Files section, under the General tab.

The date on the cache is the date entered by the cache owner not the date approved. So if it takes a few days to work up the description and approve a cache... A brand new cache might not be on the first page.

The date on the cache is the date entered by the cache owner not the date approved. So if it takes a few days to work up the description and approve a cache... A brand new cache might not be on the first page.

That wouldn't account for the logs that the OP mentioned. Generally speaking, a cache isn't going to have logs dated prior to the approval date.

The date on the cache is the date entered by the cache owner not the date approved.  So if it takes a few days to work up the description and approve a cache... A brand new cache might not be on the first page.

That wouldn't account for the logs that the OP mentioned. Generally speaking, a cache isn't going to have logs dated prior to the approval date.

Some people list their caches in other places, too. If your local reviewer accepts caches for example once a week, the cache might have been listed on other sites (including cache owners own web pages) for several days.

When the cache finally appears in geocaching.com, those who have found it earlier then log it found and of course they use the date they did find it.

In Finland the FTF hunters call this FBA - found before approved.