Geocaching : A Caucasian Sport?

Auntie, I am really sorry, but after reading this thread ... I will be changing my avatar to one of the many famous black cartoon characters.

As much as I like Fat Albert, I liked your other avatar better. It gave the impression that you were respectible. :lol:

The OP, however much he adjures others to stay on topic, morphed his own thread from "is everybody here white?" to "let's artificially post an unrepresentative number of brown faces to the front page to create a welcoming atmosphere." It's the latter I was reacting to and I don't think I've dissed the idea half as hard as it deserves.

This is exactly why I posted on this thread.

The mere idea of artificially increasing the number of non white cachers in the front page gallery to "bait" timid minorities, rubs me wrong :lol: . If certain minorities are afraid of geocaching because of photos showing "white people having fun," they have no business playing.

This sport is about using a GPS to visit neat and interesting locales, and finding a cache. It has nothing to do with race baiting.

now that has my vote!  following the suggested theory if we hav lots of similar photos will we attract more and more really attractive women to the sport?

only slightly tongue in cheek

Interesting idea, Nobby.

Not long ago, there was a fearsome debate on whether a women-only event should be posted, in order to attract more women to the sport. There was a lot of gassing about whether it would be fair or not, but I don't recall anyone complaining that the idea was condescending or insulting to women.

But let someone suggest that the front page photos should have more people of color, and the right wing starts bloviating about "the soft bigotry of low expectations."

Honestly, I can't keep track of what is or is not politically correct anymore, but then I don't try very hard. I think both ideas were wrong-headed.

As for attractive women and geocaching, I think any woman who is willing to hike a mile into the woods in search of an ammo box is attractive--and if she's willing to do it with me, she's a knock-out! :lol:

Edited by reveritt
Not long ago, there was a fearsome debate on whether a women-only event should be posted, in order to attract more women to the sport.  There was a lot of gassing about whether it would be fair or not, but I don't recall anyone complaining that the idea was condescending or insulting to women.

I described the event as "objectionable on the face of it" without explicitly saying why. I was trying not to make too many enemies, as I was in favor of the original purpose of the thread, which was to get together with local women and do some caches. This is not because I prefer the company of women (rather the reverse), but there are a few caches I don't want to do alone and my partner gets a little rattled if I propose going hiking in the woods with strange men. Go figure.

I have, however, spent a lifetime refusing to participate in, for example, women's art shows, precisely because I find them condescending and insulting. I don't paint pictures of my parts, I don't much care to look at pictures of other women's parts, so I don't see what gender has to do with it. Segregating by sex only makes sense in competitions where one gender is at a clear disadvantage. Watercolors definitely isn't one of them. Nor is caching.

to be slightly more open and on topic my point was just that having photos of attractive women on the home page won't attract more women...more likely to make them walk away (rightly so) so why would pictures of ethnic groups have any other effect? it's just as demeaning and patronising.

keep things as they are, the sport is not exclusive in any way everybody is welcome if they are willing to follow the rules. nothing about it precludes any religion or community group that i am aware of.

lets not go any further into this subject really. i mean just it's existance is patronising really.....what can us caucasians do to encourage the timid ethnic groups to the sport????!!! that's not really what we're talking about is it? :yikes:

The OP, however much he adjures others to stay on topic, morphed his own thread from "is everybody here white?" to "let's artificially post an unrepresentative number of brown faces to the front page to create a welcoming atmosphere." It's the latter I was reacting to and I don't think I've dissed the idea half as hard as it deserves.

This is exactly why I posted on this thread.

The mere idea of artificially increasing the number of non white cachers in the front page gallery to "bait" timid minorities, rubs me wrong :blink: . If certain minorities are afraid of geocaching because of photos showing "white people having fun," they have no business playing.

This sport is about using a GPS to visit neat and interesting locales, and finding a cache. It has nothing to do with race baiting.

Err... ever seen a brown man in a public park looking under a bush? I'm sure you'll be the first one to call the cops :blink: