Map Software

I'm a Garmin user first off, but I use National Geographic TOPO! at times to download my GPS data over 1:24000 USGS topo. I create hardcopy maps with my GPS data to map trails, bike paths, etc. You can create waypoints and routes for uploading into all brands of GPSr (check listing of compatibility). I love the program and use it when not using Garmin's MapSource. I hope this helps to provide your answer.

Edited by Timpat

I just wanted to make sure you are aware that if you own a Magellan GPS, that the only maps you can display on your receiver are the MapSend maps by Magellan. Your receiver will work with other brands of mapping software, but only with waypoints, tracks and routes. You won't be able to transfer the maps themselves.

You probably already knew this, but I was just making sure. It is a common misunderstanding among new GPS users.

Incidently, I too use the National Geographic state series of 1:24000 maps and love them!

If you are looking for programs to use on your PC, that allow you to work with waypoints, routes and tracks, there are a few that I would suggest:

USAPhotoMaps - a shareware program available at www.jdmcox.com

TopoFusion - which has a generous demo mode (www.topofusion.com)

OziExplorer - a reasonably priced, but more complex, program that has extensive demo modes (www.oziexplorer.com)

the only maps you can display on your receiver are the MapSend maps by Magellan.

Not entirely true. You can make your own maps for a Magellan using their MobileMapper Office software. It's definitely got a learning curve, but it's nowhere near as hard as making maps for a Garmin. Some infomation is available here.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, pouring over our maps as

others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

Not entirely true. You can make your own maps for a Magellan using their MobileMapper Office software.

This always comes up when discussing the proprietary mapping available on GPSRs. The problem with this, is that it is not even close to being "user friendly" and the "detail" isn't what people are looking for. Most people are looking for off road topo based mapping when it comes to geocaching. It is best for those rare "power users" who really want to roll up their sleeves and get dirty. I don't even make it a point of telling newbies about it 'cause it just confuses them.

It is best for those rare "power users" who really want to roll up their sleeves and get dirty.

I agree to a certain extent. I was mainly taking issue with the use of the word only.

This always comes up when discussing the proprietary mapping available on GPSRs. The problem with this, is that it is not even close to being "user friendly" and the "detail" isn't what people are looking for. 

Interestingly enough, that's what got me started making maps for my GPSRs--not enough detail on the topo maps from MapSource.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

It is best for those rare "power users" who really want to roll up their sleeves and get dirty.

I agree to a certain extent. I was mainly taking issue with the use of the word only.

This always comes up when discussing the proprietary mapping available on GPSRs. The problem with this, is that it is not even close to being "user friendly" and the "detail" isn't what people are looking for. 

Interestingly enough, that's what got me started making maps for my GPSRs--not enough detail on the topo maps from MapSource.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

So, being what one user called a Newbie, is making my own maps for Magellan something I should even consider? I am very computer literate and feel I could take on the challenge, but is it extremely time consuming?

Where did you say I could get the Moblie Mapper Software?