Access Fee?

Hi there...

I have a bit of confusion. :unsure: I was informed by our (truly wonderful, and I mean that) approver that a cache within an Audubon sanctuary would not likely get approved due to the access fee. We appreciated knowing that before we went through the process of placing a cache.

However, I notice there is an attribute for "Access or Parking Fee." Why would this even be an option if we are not allowed to have such a thing? I'm confoozled. Perhaps I'm not understanding the rules clearly? :laughing:

Can someone explain the details of how this works? We know about 3 terrific areas for caches, and we have permission for one great area, until we found out that it may not be approved due to the access fee of $3/person.

Thanks for any clarification.

Placing a cache in a commercial venue, like an ice cream store where the intent was to draw customers in to purchase products,, is unlikely to be approved; however, access fees to parks are permissible. Most state parks are fee based for entry. I'm not sure why the Audubon sanctuary doesn't meet those criteria. Is it a special event, or is the fee overly expensive?

I'm not sure why the Audubon sanctuary doesn't meet those criteria. Is it a special event, or is the fee overly expensive?

It is $3/person, free for Audubon members. No parking fee. It was not a special event, but there is a special landmark there that I wanted to bring cachers to. Am wondering if I should try to contact the approver again for details. I had pretty much told him what I mentioned here and he did not feel he'd be allowed to approve it.

Brewer & Bee Crazy have done at least two Audubon caches that require entry fees. I have listed two of them here for precedence. Good luck in getting the cache approved. Judging from the quality of all of your previous caches, I'm sure it will be worthwhile paying any fees.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...48&Submit6=Find

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...cc&Submit6=Find

I don't see why the approver would say that. I know of caches in museums, parks and other places that require access fees. As long as its not a commercial enterprise and the fact that a fee is reqired is mentioned on the page, I don't see shy it shouldn't be approved.

I have a cache in a conservancy area that has an access fee. I've seen several other, newer caches in that same park since I hid mine. Granted, it seems to cut down on the number of visitors but I don't see anything wrong with putting a cache in an open area managed by a non-commercial entity...as long as the cache owner makes it known that there is an entry fee.

Most state parks and Fish'n'Wildlife areas here in Washington require trail and/or parking permits. These cost $85 anually (for everything) or $3-10 per day.

There are tons of caches in these areas. If we couldn't have caches in these areas, there would hardly be any forest caches here. They'd all have to be city parks and urbans.

Luna

Have the land manager contact us at contact@geocaching.com with a short email about your listing and I'll get it approved for you.

Thank you, Jeremy. The land manager gave us permission as long as people were informed about the access fee, and that we noted that there were no dogs allowed. We'll place the cache wihtin the next 2 mos., and have him send you an email. Many thanks for the support.

This is truly remarkable land with a breath-taking natural item there.

Thank you.

(edited to make quote a "quote")

Edited by Birdsong-n-Bud
Brewer & Bee Crazy have done at least two Audubon caches that require entry fees. I have listed two of them here for precedence.

Thank you, Trail Buzzards! Those look like great caches, and I thank you for the reference. The Welfleet one looks like one I'd love to do, despite the few-hour drive! Printing that one out now, actually!

Good luck in getting the cache approved. Judging from the quality of all of your previous caches, I'm sure it will be worthwhile paying any fees

Now that is a wonderful compliment. Thank you! It's enthusiastic cachers like you that keep me addicted to putting them out. Gotta feed the obsession so I can sleep, y'know?