I'm Doing Something Wrong

SthrnMan

Ok, here I sit all psyched up and ready to go. I've read the forums, joined as a member and downloaded all the caches in my area. I've been out twice and I am now

0-4.

It must be me, or my equipment... probably both.

I have a Dell Axim X5 with a Holux GPS receiver attached. I use GSAK, Download my .gpx files, send that to Streets and Trips, and then send the map with cords to pocket streets. So far so good.

I then send the gpx files to my Axim, and I can open them with GPX View, which is VERY handy having all the info right there together.

(Only thing I don't like is I have to open every cache and put in the file name so I can find the info in the .gpx files)

Now I can get close IF my GPS is correct. However Pocket streets will only zoom in to 30 yards. Not bad, but it leaves me at a loss as to rather I'm 20 feet away, or 5 feet.

I've switched over to BeeLine, and not much luck, I just can seam to get anything out of Vito Tech to work for me either.

So here I am, and the GPS tells me I'm within 20 feet of the cords. I walk around and it never gets me any closer. So now I figure I just need to search within that 20 foot area. As I said I'm 0-4

So either I need to just buy another GPS, OR I need to get better and finding these things. So far it has not been much fun. Well, that's not true, I saw an eagle today while I was caching.

Also make sure that you have the unit set to the correct datum.

I'm not familiar with the setup that you are using, but I wouldn't cache with your setup. The reason being is it is quite expensive and fragile. I would trip over a rock and crush the axim. Also, if your software is not able to properly lead you to the location, you might consider getting a cheap handheld GPSr. A used etrex can be found on ebay for fifty bucks or so.

I walk around and it never gets me any closer. So now I figure I just need to search within that 20 foot area.  As I said I'm 0-4 So either I need to just buy another GPS, OR I need to get better and finding these things.

Twenty feet is really pretty good, honestly. Make DOUBLE sure you're set on the right map datum (WGS84). Choose easy (1/1) caches. Decode the hint. If you did all right and it's still no luck, maybe this is not a good game for you.

So far it has not been much fun. Well, that's not true, I saw an eagle today while I was caching.

Then again, maybe you 'get it' after all :rolleyes:

.............................. send that to Streets and Trips, and then send the map with cords to pocket streets..........................

I tried loading the lat/longs into Trips and Streets to get a general map of the area. I've found that they tend to be way off.

Make DOUBLE sure you're set on the right map datum (WGS84)

Where do I set this (forgive the ignorance)

As for not being a good game for me. I spend a ton of time out doors, I'm a Scout leader, and live in an area filled with outdoor activities. I got into this to give me another reason to get outside. It would be nice thought to actualy FIND the thing. :rolleyes: I have had a good time just hunting. I just feel bad for my little boy, although he has had a blast seeing a few wild turkeys and finding tracks along the trails.

My main concern was that I was doing something wrong with the software and or hardware.

Make DOUBLE sure you're set on the right map datum (WGS84)

Where do I set this (forgive the ignorance)

I'd have to guess at finding the setting for the GPS. There should be a way to set the co-ords up for different formats (WGS84, UTM, etc).

You seem to have a rather unique setup, so we're all kinda guessing at things. If you can afford it, I'd suggest a cheap handheld GPS and use the PDA for info.

Wulf

Edited by Team Tigger International

Try looking for some easier caches (lower terrain/difficulry ratings) until you start to get the hang of it.

Are you looking for micro caches? Micros can be anything from a film cannister, magnetic key holder, to a very very very small mint strip container. Look for some easier-rated ones. You might want to skip micros at first and look for some regular sized containers. This will get your feet wet and you will get a feel of what you are looking for.

Remember, your GPS will not take you right to the cache. When you get 20-30 feet away, just start looking around and think "if I was gonna hide a cache, where would I l hide it?". Don't be afraid to look at the hint, and you can always email the cache owner for an additional hint of you need one.

Keep trying :unsure:

Ed

If you are 0-4, I would have to think that either you have the map Datum set wrong, or you are drying to do caches that are too difficult for you (for now).

I don't know where you are from, but I would suggest trying to meet up with a local cacher and seeing if they might be interested in taking you out and "showing you the ropes". You could compare readings and see if your GPS is pointing you the right direction, and after finding a couple you would get a feel for the hiding spots.

Chech out the Regional forums down below, most states have some sort of geocaching association now. That would be a good place to find a mentor.

Also, if there is an "event" cache coming up, that would be a great chance to meet some local cachers and get a better idea of the sport.

Edit: I type too slow!

Edited by Docapi

There is a local person who said he would hook up with me, I just need to set up a good time. I think comparing GPS's would be a great start, although when I'm driving it seams to be corect.

0-4=

1 ran out of time on a mile hike to the cache, we had to leave in order to get to Scouts

2 it was a micro at a playground, lots of kids and moms, I looked for about 30 mins and started getting dirty looks like I was a pedophile

3 GPS kept saying I was with in 20, another micro, then it started to rain.

4 got with in 30 foot (power lines, tree cover) and just never could find the silly micro

I plan to go back for all of them soon.

Thanks for all the help and advise

Sounds to me like you're a little "over technical" . Try plugging things into your GPS manually. Also, my eTrex Vista did some strange things when I had the digital compass feature turned on. After disabling it, I had no problem. 20-30 feet is pretty accurate, especially if you are under wooded canopy.

Hi...

As a relatively new cacher myself, I remember my first forays trying to score my first find. The way these caches are hidden is much more sophisticated than I originally expected. I've gotten used to the *usual* hiding spots now, but I remember that one of my first caches was pushed FAR into a hollow log. I don't actually know what made me look where I did, but I did finally catch a weird glint off of the camo tape that let me know something *not natural* was crammed at the farthest end of the hollow log. I was also amazed at how well the camo tape worked, if you were in a low-light situation.

You may need to move sticks, brush away leaves, move rocks. Once my GPSr beeps that I'm in the vicinity, I stop and look around. Check all the things that look even the slightest bit *askew* or *out of place*.

I agree with choosing a 1-1 star cache to begin. Make sure it is a traditional size as well. Micro caches are art forms in and of themselves! (:

If worse comes to worst, attend a geocaching event in your area and go with those that have some experience. It will only take 3-4 finds for you to have some cache-savvy on where to start looking for the next one. I know my husband was unenthused about this game until I helped him find his first few. Now he's like a freakin' bloodhound.

(:

Sally

I have almost your exact same setup. Axim X5, Holux GPS, I use Beeline almost exclusively, along with Mobipocket (will be switching to HTML soon, as mobipocket is hard to use).

-First off, don't start with micros. I didn't do a micro till I had 4 or 5 regular-sized finds. Micros can be evil.

-Take a walking stick. Use it to poke at things. It saves a lot of time and back pain.

-Expect that your GPS will only get within 40ft accuracy (sometimes 60). Your GPSr is only 20ft accurate, and the hider's GPSr was only 20 ft accurate... So you could be 40 ft off.

If there is tree cover, the software doesn't update very quickly, so you could be 150 ft off. You might have to triangulate -- or "guess".

-You're usually looking for an ammo can on a regular. (Often the cache owner will tell you.) Ammo cans usually fit well under squarish-shaped piles of sticks and leaves. If the pile of leaves is made up of right-angles, poke it with the stick and expect a clunking noise.

-If it looks like a good hiding place, it probably is. Look into hollow stumps, behind shrubs, under ferns. Any nook or crany is game. Poke it with the stick.

-If you're on a trail, the cache is most likely hidding off the trail, just a bit.

-Don't forget to look *up*.

-After a few finds, you learn what people tend to do... so you can quickly go through the mental list of things you've seen before -- which then helps you eliminate those things if the cache is clever. Some of the mid-range difficulties use containers that blend well into the environs. Logs hollowed out to fit the container, pine cone containers, fake metal boxes on street lamps, bolts, fake pipes, and black PVC on black fence posts (that one was fun!!)

-Use the force. Go with your gut. It will be wrong a lot. It will say, "I'll bet it's under that tree". So check under that tree, and it won't be there, so it will say, "It would be perfect just up the trail there behind that rock", so you check the rock, and it won't be there either... now is NOT the time to get logical. Do not verbally abuse your gut. Keep listening, and after about 5 times of being wrong, it will suddenly be right. If you had used a logical, systematical approach, you'd still be looking.

Luna

P.S. I'm not worried about breaking my Axim either. I have a Rhino aluminum case for it. If I drop it on rocks from 6 ft up, it *might* break, but it's fine being dropped 4 feet into dirt, which is the most likely scenerio.

Edit: typo

Edited by Lunaverse

I agree with many of the sentiments expressed here.

Look for traditional caches instead of micros and pick caches rated as easy for starters, you can always do the hard ones later.

As far as distance? I would never trust my GPS to get me within 20 feet.

The guy who placed the container could have up to 30 feet of error, and so could you. That's 60 feet potentially. When my GPS says I'm between 40 to 60 feet from the box, I put it away and turn in a slow circle, identifying all the hiding places I can see. Then I check out the ones that seem likeliest.

The problem is that sofware for car navigation is NOT as accurate as for what a standalone GPSr will do. It si not the accuracey of the GPS unit but the software as a car needs to have a bigger slop factor. You will need to find some software that will allow you to use your PDA/GPS combo as a traditional GPSr. I can't remember what it is called but there are a few freeware packages.

The main cavet is a PDA/GPR is not a rugged as a handheld GPSr. I use an Axim but only for .gpx files and then car navigation. But I use a GPSr for huntting for caches.

cheers

The problem is that sofware for car navigation is NOT as accurate as for what a standalone GPSr will do.

He says he have switched to using BeeLine, which was authored by a GeoCacher, and has lots of GC-specific features. It's pretty good, fast, and fairly accurate -- unless there's treecover. :laughing:

It's a good program, but a lil' rough around the edges. I'm expecting it to improve. It's a billion times better than MS Streets.

Luna

The only thing I can't figure out with BeeLine is how to zoom the map. :laughing:

Otherwise it sounds like I was exspecting to much out of my equiptment, looking back now I can see a lot of things I can do diferently.

If the weather is good this weekend I'll be back at it.

The only thing I can't figure out with BeeLine is how to zoom the map. :laughing:

This one I discovered by hitting buttons at random :D

You know that big round button below the screen? The top half of the button zooms in, the bottom half zooms out. I think the left-side button will also zoom, but I'm not sure. You do have to be a bit careful, as sometimes it zooms in 3 levels at once. :/

Panning can be a pain, too.

I have a list of little interface things I want to feedback to the BeeLine author, but I'm waiting until I actually pay for it first. :o

Luna

Otherwise it sounds like I was exspecting to much out of my equiptment

Lots of good advice already, and you may have just had a "light bulb" moment. I gave a geocaching presentation for my son's Cub Scout Den last week. After the presentation, I took them outside to hunt for 10 caches I had hidden around the church grounds. I handed a borrowed GPS to one of the dads who had never even seen one before. I showed him how to change waypoints and off he went with a couple of the kids. I checked up on him about 15 minutes later and he was getting frustrated, had given up on 3 attempts. He was holding the GPS to a bush and saying "It says 2 feet, but I don't see it!" After I reminded him about the accuracy, he started looking around and found that cache about 20 feet away. A little while later, his group had found all 10 of the caches! Keep in mind...if the GPSr got you to within 1 or 2' of the cache, what fun would that be?

That is one big reason I got into geocaching. I also work with Cub Scouts, and I want to take them out on a few hunts. however I need to get good at it before I can teach them.

And yes, the light bulb has come on, I can't wait till this weekend. :D

Edited by SthrnMan

Got the 1st one done! :huh:

We went on a dune buggy trip, and hunted on the way home. We still could find three micros. Part of the problem is there are a lot more micros in my area than anything else.

I got to realy work the GPS while riding in the dunes, and on the trails. It worked great in the sand, and under tree cover. The tracking feature got us back out of the woods.

Thanks for all the help and tips!