More On Geocaching As A Dating Service :)

Hi, Gang, I was reading with interest the earlier thread about Geocaching as an online dating service, and wanted to explore this a bit more.....

In our society, I think we base so much on physical attraction and not enough on common interests, hopes, dreams, and goals.

Is it so wrong to try to find someone with those common interests? I think not....and I think those relationships have a better chance to survive....

Just my .02 worth!

Rick

My first response to that is.... my husband and I have lots of common interests, but when I'm pissed at him and in the peak of anger all I have to do is look at him and I can't help but think, I can't leave or be pissed... he's to dadgum cute!

Crystal

Edited by Trekin Triad

My wife and I have been together for over 21 years. Naturally, we have similar goals, dreams, and ambitions - some that we shared in the beginning, some that we've built together since then. We couldn't have lasted this long with all of that good stuff.

However, we'd be lying if we'd say the first attraction wasn't physical. This isn't "our society" - it's pretty much the way it's been with humans around the world since the model was introduced. The things that are associated with physical attractiveness are, to a large degree, the same things that ensure passing along the best set of DNA and providing the best care for the next generation.

Now, if the wife and I would happen upon each other for the first time now, two decades and some pounds later, I guess we'd have to take time to get to know each other first...

When you have a relationship based solely on physical attraction, you have - well - a physical relationship. That can be fun, and I guess most of us have been there. But those don't tend to last. Or if they do, they aren't Happily Ever After.

There are also relationships that are based on common interests or shared experiences, while there's not much physical attraction. Those stand a slightly better chance of survival than a physical-only match, but there has to be some sort of spark to keep everything in line.

Also, it's important to remember that everybody's idea of "attractive" is a bit different. Good thing, since that gives all of us a fighting chance.

Yikes! When did this become Dear Abby?