Need basic GPS unit recommendation

Stitchmonster

I know this topic has been hashed out before, but I'm looking for a basic, accurate, no-frills unit.

We have a few finds, but are doing it the hard way. I have a Magellan 2000 XL that just isn't getting it any more.... I don't need a lot of frills, just a good dependable, accurate unit. Maps, software extras, cruise control, foot massage, etc-type features not needed.

What's a good one to get, and where? I'm willing to pay for accuracy, speed, etc, but would rather not pay extra for features I have no need for. (Always looking for a bargain, within reason).

Thanks!

Look for an etrex Yellow (and data cable, which is extra!). I've seen the etrax at $129. I think it is cheaper elsewhere. I think the next step up is more expensive, but comes with the data cable.

Or

Get a Magellan yellow or green. I got my wife's for $109 at Outpost.com, but I think they are out. It comes with the data cable.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Wal-Mart has the etrex yellow for $119, but I've seen them for under $100 online. Try www.tvnav.com - great service and prices. I have the yellow etrex and the etrex Vista. They both find caches equally well - the only difference is the bells and whistles.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.

I have the eTrex Venture, and am very happy with it. It comes with the serial interface cable, which costs up to $35 in stores and as low as $15 or so on EBay.

Putting waypoints in by hand is pretty time consuming. It is okay for one or two points now and then, but for very many it is tedious.

I like the size, weight, and controls. The eTrex models are all designed to be controlled using only the left hand. Very easy and handy to use.

I haven't seen one in use, but the new Geko models seem comparable. The Geko 201 has a few more frills, but the 101 seems like a pretty servicable basic unit.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

The Yellow or green Magellan Meridians are hard to beat. They have a large, easy to read screen and simple to learn interface. They come with the cable you need to hook it to your computer and they are very accurate in the field, especially under tree cover. You can usually find them for $109 to $119 if you shop around. Great value for a mapping GPSr.

For what I believe is the best bang for the $$$$$, the Garmin E-Trex Venture is the way to go. It has a much better display and longer battery life than more of the Magellan units. Then start with EasyGPS (which is free) for your software, and you are on your way. Upgrade to ExpertGPS when you are ready.

This will serve you well for most outdoor activities. You shouldn't even need to upgrade... unless you decide you need mapping on the GPSr.

Hope this helps.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Thanks for the feedback!

After reading this and other similar threads, I think I'm going with the Garmin eTrex Legend. Seems to be a middle-of-the-road unit, and does more than I'll need. Amazon.com has them for $139 after rebate, nobody local can touch that. Another day or two and I'll be ordering one (in case anybody has anything else to say, pluses or minuses). Thanks again!

Stitchmonster,

You & your folks should come out to the gathering on Saturday at Herb Parsons Lake (I know you've found a couple of caches there already). While you're playing in the water there should be lots of folks with different units they can check out.

You'll find that people are pretty partial to their own brand... I started with a yellow eTrex and it worked great -- except deep in the woods. I wanted mapping capability, so I got a SporTrak Map after seeing the performance of some of the Magellans at our picnic last Summer.

There are very sucessful cachers using all models of both brands.

bitbrain-

Thanks for the invite. I REALLY had wanted to come out, but I'm committed to something else this weekend. I know a hands-on comparison would be my best bet, I just can't make it this weekend. icon_frown.gif

BTW, be prepared for LOTS of poison ivy. We hiked around the lake yesterday, it's EVERYWHERE already.

I have purchased the basic etrex yellow. I have

found as a basic unit, you really cannot go wrong.

#1 It is light for geo-treking or just carrying in your pocket.

#2 It does not do alot but get you there. So it

does not use alot of batteries.

#3 Can be used as a back-up later, in the event

you would like to get a more powerful unit.

#4 Now comes in CAMO.

#5 Very easy unit to learn

I have used a PLGR in the military, and I am surprised how well and how cheap this

technology can be utilized by all. ETREX beats the PLGR for usability and it is accurate enough.

And what does the military pay for thier units?

$1,000 or maybe $2,000. Once SA was lifted, all

the civilian units are very accurate to within

50 feet.

my two cents worth,

psyopwak