Newbiew & Travelbugs

Karren

:laughing: We have found 7 caches (we're slow starting); last night found one with two travel bugs in it, but didn't take either as we're unsure what to do with them. Reading up on this website confused me more. It seems to suggest that you can "grab" a travelbug by just making an entry on this website without actually physically locating it in a cache. In addition, you can then "put" it in a new cache by just making an entry on this website without actually placing the physical travelbug in another cache. Am I reading this correctly? Does this mean I can sit in front of my computer for several hours, visit cache page after cache page until I find several with travelbugs, virtually "grab" them and "move" them to other caches without ever getting out of my chair? If so, what happens if, like last night we physically find one, take it and go to record it and find someone else "grabbed" in on-line? Edited by Karren

On each travel bug dog tag is a six digit number. That number should not be posted anyplace, but is needed to grab the travel bug. You can also indicate that you found the bug in the cache it is listed in. What should be done is to take the bug out of the cache and then log it as being found. Later, when you log a find on a cache there will be a list of bugs that you have found and not yet placed. Simply highlight that bug before logging your find of the cache and it wll be dropped in that cache on line.

I hope that helps a bit.

you can "grab" a travelbug by just making an entry on this website without actually physically locating it in a cache

Actually, to log a TB you need to TB number, which can only be found on the TB itself, so you do need to actually get the TB.

you can then "put" it in a new cache by just making an entry on this website without actually placing the physical travelbug in another cache

Technically, yes. If you have a TB and it is logged that you have it, then you can log that you put a TB into a cache without actually doing it. This, however, is very much frowned upon and if caught one may face consequences.

Does this mean I can sit in front of my computer for several hours, visit cache page after cache page until I find several with travelbugs, virtually "grab" them and "move" them to other caches without ever getting out of my chair?

Well, there are a few "virtual TBs" out there in which you needn't have the TB because there is no TB to be had in the first place.

If so, what happens if, like last night we physically find one, take it and go to record it and find someone else "grabbed" in on-line?

You could email the person who "grabbed" the TB and explain that you physically have the TB. It may have just been a mistake; they may have put it in the cache accidentally or "taken it out" accidentally.

I found 2 travel bugs and grabbed them out of a wet cache. I then planted them in another cache. It is fun to find travel bugs. The first time I found a travel bug I did not take it. I left it in the cache because I was not sure what to do with it. Then I read about travel bugs and decided it would be fun to own one and then grab one if I came across one. But now I try to grab them to help them along their travels.

My sister wants to find one and replant it. We are new to caching but already I own a travel bug. You learn fast what to do with them. This game is so much fun :laughing:<_<