Etrex Legend To Usb?

I bought an eTrex Legend (the blue one) a year ago. The PC link cable is not USB. I am going to be getting a new comptuer soon and many of them do not have the same connector that came with the unit originally. Can I get a cable to replace the one that came with it or an adapter?

Thanks in advance!

TomandSue

No, you need that cable - you also need a USB to Serial adapter. You plug the adapter into your RSB port - then you plug your serial cable into the serial end of the USB adapter..

Radio Shack has the adapters for around $30 - you might get one cheaper on e-bay. I bought the RS unit because it was cheaper (after shipping) and I didn't want to wait for it. Works great with my Legend and Magellan units.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=84485

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...0entry1423844

Check out these to links for info once you get your adapter.

/cc\

Edited by CompuCash
Why don't they include a USB cacble standard? Most people with a GPS will have a computer that is USB-enabled, and do that many people have serial ports anymore?

Because thats what they want to do. Both Garmin and Magellan do it that way. If you want to connect it to a computer you either find a serial port, or get an adaptor (I use ISOgear brand ones from Best Buy btw).

OR I guess you could also buy a newer unit :lol:

Why don't they include a USB cacble standard? Most people with a GPS will have a computer that is USB-enabled, and do that many people have serial ports anymore?

Because thats what they want to do. Both Garmin and Magellan do it that way. If you want to connect it to a computer you either find a serial port, or get an adaptor (I use ISOgear brand ones from Best Buy btw).

OR I guess you could also buy a newer unit :lol:

D'oh! Guess I should look at some more recent documentation other than a 10/02 instruction manual....