2 Benchmarks From 1845 (160yo Ftf!)

nfa

What a fun morning!

I went out with a list of really old benchmarks that had never been logged before, and found 2 of them: PG2524 and PG2522. They're both 160 years old, and mark the boundary between the USA and Canada.

I was coming back to my car from the first one when I saw a border patrol car parked next to my Jeep...seems someone had seen me poking around, and called it in. The officer ran my VIN, plates, and license while I stood there (she didn't want me to get back in my car, which had a cell-phone, spare GPSr, Pelican Case, and an ammo-can on the passenger seat...go figure :( ).

When she had finished checking up on me, she asked me what I was doing...so I told her. She must have believed me (else I might be hooded on a plane to some dark room), but still thought it was strange. She asked if I was going to look for anymore, and I said that I had planned on it, but didn't have to...She said that she would pass the word along that a guy in a bllue Jeep was looking around so that other border patrol officers wouldn't race to find me when somebody called it in again.

I thanked her for her hard work, told her it was no problem (I'd much rather spend a couple of minutes letting her check me out than have someone sneak through and blow something up...after all, I was in and out of Canada a number of times this morning...without going through customs :D ). I told her it was a relief to know that the US-Canadian border was less porous than I had previously thought.

My next find was relatively easy...and the one after that dead-ended at a high fence and military "Keep Out!" signs at the end of (I kid you not) "Missile Base Road". My GPS pointed inside the fence, between an ancient quonset hut and what looked like an underground missile silo opening. I figured jumping this fence might be pushing my luck, and so called it a day.

Thanks to gc.com and benchmarking for another fun day, filled with adventure.

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA

NFA,

Nice!

Testing Border security is a good thing! Well, You know. Sorta, At least it looks like they are keeping an eye on it.

I brought this up while back but it didn't generate any interest, but I did think for a time that some form of ID would help us somehow. No Biggie.

However, In Lieu of that, Please consider carrying a Freshly generated Copy Of an NGS Datasheet form for each PID you are searching for with you. Consider getting this one specifically from the NGS Website, Not Geocaching. It is the best corroboration you can have in your possession for what you are doing. It is a US Government Document and it has a complete description with coordinates for what you are attempting to accomplish. Do not leave it in your car, Because as we just read, that may not be helpful to leave it in the car if an Officer won't allow you to retrieve it.

Tell ANYBODY who questions you that you are Volunteer Survey Mark Hunter, Performing Public Service, and searching for Survey Stations, which you intend to report the whereabouts to a US Government Agency, You would not technically be telling a Lie, Even if you are just playing the Game, because you could report it to NGS as an insurance policy, and the papers in your hand will prove it. Beyond that it is your word against theirs.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Rob

Edited by evenfall