What Do You Think?

joinsmith97 and I went to go explore a new park today. It is still being worked on but he insists on hiding a cache there. The park is rather small and from what I can see the only type of cache that one would be able to hide would be a micro. He and I have been working on an old cast iron floor safe to use as a cache, that's what he wants to hide there.

The park's land was donated by homeowners who still live on the park's grounds.

He found a place that he wants to hide the cache but I think it is a horrible spot to hide the cache. To get to the spot you have to trample through vegetation, including native and non-native plants (not that that really matters) and then when you finally get to the spot you can easily be seen and the spot is 10 feet from a ribbon that says "Wetlands Area."

I just think that this doesn't sound like a good place to hide a cache. Since the place isn't done yet a construction worker might stumble upon it and it would probably be confiscated and we wouldn't get it back.

There are much better places to hide this cache.

I will try to post pics later.

I would like your opinions on this. Thanks.

The park's land was donated by homeowners who still live on the park's grounds.

They live on the opposite edge of the park grounds.

To get to the spot you have to trample through vegetation, including native and non-native plants (not that that really matters)

The vegetation being "trampled" would be grass weeds and maybe in invasive plant.

then when you finally get to the spot you can easily be seen and the spot is 10 feet from a ribbon that says "Wetlands Area."

The wetland well not be touched by my cache.

You have to factor in what people will do to the area when they search for the cache.

The people who donated the land live on the edge so you can bet they will be watching the park like a hawk.

I'd ask them first (even though they don't own it any more since they are vested in that land and it's success as a park). Then the city who will more than likely say yes to a cache since their benefactor is on board for the cache.

Of course where you can hide it may be influenced by the owenrs but that's a small price to pay in this case.

You have to factor in what people will do to the area when they search for the cache.

The people who donated the land live on the edge so you can bet they will be watching the park like a hawk.

I'd ask them first (even though they don't own it any more since they are vested in that land and it's success as a park). Then the city who will more than likely say yes to a cache since their benefactor is on board for the cache.

Of course where you can hide it may be influenced by the owenrs but that's a small price to pay in this case.

Thats what I wanted to do anyway.

I'd ask them first (even though they don't own it any more since they are vested in that land and it's success as a park).  Then the city who will more than likely say yes to a cache since their benefactor is on board for the cache.

RK and Hemlock have pretty much nailed it; if there is any question about whether a cache location is a good one (meaning acceptable to landowners, managers and neighbors), consideration of those around it should include asking permission.

For instance, in an editorial comment, I wrote: "You have a tiny little neighborhood association park with a number of houses crowded around it. Is it okay to just waltz in and invite a lot of (weird people) geocachers to come prowling at all hours?"

I would seek permission from anyone who may be concerned, or I would find another location.

The vegetation issue is different. If the plants are weeds and invasive plants, it doesn't sound like a problem, except that a path will develop and the cache will be easy to find (maybe muggle-easy).

I am glad to see this kind of thought and discussion generating from you guys; I hope it's not just a petty argument. :D:(

I'd ask them first (even though they don't own it any more since they are vested in that land and it's success as a park).  Then the city who will more than likely say yes to a cache since their benefactor is on board for the cache.

RK and Hemlock have pretty much nailed it; if there is any question about whether a cache location is a good one (meaning acceptable to landowners, managers and neighbors), consideration of those around it should include asking permission.

For instance, in an editorial comment, I wrote: "You have a tiny little neighborhood association park with a number of houses crowded around it. Is it okay to just waltz in and invite a lot of (weird people) geocachers to come prowling at all hours?"

I would seek permission from anyone who may be concerned, or I would find another location.

The vegetation issue is different. If the plants are weeds and invasive plants, it doesn't sound like a problem, except that a path will develop and the cache will be easy to find (maybe muggle-easy).

I am glad to see this kind of thought and discussion generating from you guys; I hope it's not just a petty argument. :D:(

It's going to be a beautiful park and I don't want cachers to instantly scar the place by destroying the vegetation.