Yellow Etrex Firmware Version

M-T-P

When I purchased my eTrex from local retail store, I discovered that it had version 2.14 of the firmware. This is the most recent firmware on Garmin's site, so I assumed I had the latest and greatest. But, one of the coworkers that I got hooked on the sport went to a local retail store and purchased the same model eTrex and he has firmware version 3.0. Along with 3.0, he has a really cool status screen that can display coords, time, date, trip odo, etc. Finally, on a thread on another site, a man mentions that he has ver 3.1 for his plain yellow eTrex too.

How is it possible to get a hold of this newer firmware and what should be actions be? Return to retail store in "hopes" of getting a replacement with the newer firmware? Pay to send it to Garmin in "hopes" of getting them to send me a replacement with the newer firmware under a warranty claim?

Is it the etrex yellow?

If so I think you have to buy the one that say's it has WAAS to get the lastest software.

You can downloaded updated software at the garmin site too.

But I think if you have the yellow that did not have WAAS, you can not upgrade the software to get WAAS you have to get the newest yellow gps.

Of coarse I could be wrong. :(

Well, it is confirmed. Garmin is shipping "new" basic yellow eTrex versions with WAAS support and firmware version 3.1. Another co-worker that I got hooked on Geocaching just picked up one of these from an online retailer and it has version 3.1 of the firmware. I feel totally ripped off by Garmin and I'm currently on hold for (19 minutes) so far waiting for their customer service people to pick up and tell me what my recourse should be.

To me this is basically the same thing as going to a car dealer who is selling a 2004 model as a new 2005 because the body-style didn't change.

*** UPDATE ***

I just got off the phone with the Garmin rep who basically said I'm S.O.L. He says that unless the retailer is willing to exchange it for a newer model there is nothing they can do. They won't even consider a warrantly replacement for this type of situation. I've just been sold a sub-standard product disguised as a newer product and the manufacturer won't touch it. Well, I guess its time to see what Target's return policy is and start barking up that tree.

To me this is basically the same thing as going to a car dealer who is selling a 2004 model as a new 2005 because the body-style didn't change.

Seems to me like the opposite.  Garmin has very quietly been sneaking the new and improved Yellow eTrex into the market, to be bought by people who think they're buying the old version.  It's just that word has got out, so now people like you are buying the Yellow eTrex, hoping to get the new version, and being disappointed when it turns out to be the old version.

It's rather more like a car dealer selling what the buyer thinks is the 2004 model, but sometimes it turns out to be a 2005.

It's rather more like a car dealer selling what the buyer thinks is the 2004 model, but sometimes it turns out to be a 2005.

I see where you derive your logic, but assuming it IS 2005, wouldn't you expect to get the latest model? If I'm at a used car lot, sure. Then, I'd be shopping for 2004 or older models and if I came home with a 2005, I'd be thrilled!

But instead, I went retail and expect to get the latest and greatest OR pay a discounted price for the older. Any other technology, food, clothing, etc. in retail stores that is "older" than the current stuff is discounted. You buy day-old bread, you pay discount. You buy last-years Nike, you pay discount. You buy a 1.3 Megapixel digital camera, you pay discount (compared to when IT was the best around). If you bought day-old bread at full price because it was sold along side fresh bread, you'd probably be a little annoyed. Now multiple that feeling and the $$ by 100 and you get closer to my frustration.

My problem with Garmin is that the old model is being sold at the same stores in the same packaging and for the same price as the new model. In fact, the packaging of the guy who just got the v3.1 eTrex was copyright 2001 which is older than MY 2.14 eTrex's. There is NO way to tell if you are buying the new version with WAAS support, a 31 function Trip Computer, and an additional display screen OR the regular old version without these additional features.

I have not contacted Target yet. It was yesterday afternoon when I finally got to talk to a Garmin rep and just didn't have time to drive into town to go to Target, but I'll be sure to let you all know what happens.

My problem with Garmin is that the old model is being sold at the same stores in the same packaging and for the same price as the new model.  In fact, the packaging of the guy who just got the v3.1 eTrex was copyright 2001 which is older than MY 2.14 eTrex's.  There is NO way to tell if you are buying the new version with WAAS support, a 31 function Trip Computer, and an additional display screen OR the regular old version without these additional features.

If I correctly understand, Garmin's basically taken the position of not acknowledging yet that the new version even exists.  They don't describe it on their web site, and they don't advertise it in any way.  They are just quietly shipping it out in the same packaging as the original yellow eTrex.  Consumers aren't supposed to expect, when they buy a yellow eTrex, that it is anything other than the original yellow eTrex.  If you buy a yellow eTrex, and it turns out ot be the old one, then you got exacly what it was being advertised and sold as, and you got exactly what you were paying for.  If you got the new version, then you got a nice bonus above and beyond what you were entitled to expect.

I guess this is a glass (half empty)/(half full)/(twice as big as it needs to be) kind of thing.

This isn't to say that I entirely agree with how Garmin is handling this transaction.  As long as they are not actually selling old eTrexes by representing them as the new version when they are not, they aren't committing any breach of law or ethics; but I don't think this is the best way to do it.

I think they should have simply announced that the yellow eTrex was being discontinued, and announced a new model, with a new name to replace it; and then sold this new model, in its own new package.

In the mean time, I guess it's simply prudent for consumers to realize that if they buy a yellow eTrex, they might wind up with the original version, which is all that Garmin is representing it to be; and therefore all that they are entitled to expect.  They might get lucky and get the new and improved version, but it's foolish to buy on the expectation that that's what they're getting.

This isn't to say that I entirely agree with how Garmin is handling this transaction.  As long as they are not actually selling old eTrexes by representing them as the new version when they are not, they aren't committing any breach of law or ethics; but I don't think this is the best way to do it.

I guess what they are really doing is selling new ones and representing them as old ones.