Symbian Series60 Geocaching Sw

pecka

My old trusty cell phone is showing it's age and I think about upgrading to some kind of smartphone.

Since I'm from Europe I consider some model from the Nokia Series60 range, but I would like to turn it into paperless device. Is there some kind of SW that can read GPX files? I don't give a dadgum about GPS navigation on the phone - that's what my GPSMAP60c is for, I just want to be able to check the direction on the go. Any experience or suggestions are welcome

I can't help you with the 'phone software question, but I would suggest consdering the purchase of a PDA, even an inexpnsive Palm Zire or older M XXX. The reason for this is simply because the screens on most of the phones that I have seen are too darn small to read any amount of information on. Cachemate is an excellent PalmOS application which fully supports the .gpx format.

I can't help you with the 'phone software question, but I would suggest consdering the purchase of a PDA, even an inexpnsive Palm Zire or older M XXX. The reason for this is simply because the screens on most of the phones that I have seen are too darn small to read any amount of information on. Cachemate is an excellent PalmOS application which fully supports the .gpx format.

I already been there, but I want just one unit. And I take my phone wherever I go, so that is my only option. I would love to get Treo650 but it's just too dadgum expensive here. :(

Instead of .gpx files, you could just go to the site live!

I kow abot this option, but you can't use it if your in the middle of nowhere. We have pretty good coverage in here (about 90% of population) but caches are often in the woods where you can't make a call

Although I haven't seen any geocaching specific apps for Symbain based phones, I don't think it would be that big a deal to do. It is a wide open OS to develop on and I had toyed with the idea of writing something that would work on my ngage.

Off topic somewhat: My son downloaded an app that let him connect his ngage phone to my bluetooth GPS and show coords and a compass screen. It didn't do all that much else, but I still thought it was cool.

--Marky

Waking a somewhat dormant thread here, but I use a Series 60 phone and have found GPSXC and GPSBabel are a perfect combination. I contacted the developer of GPSXC and he said he's interested in adding geocaching-specific features to the program and would love suggestions.

GPSbabel works on PC and Mac.

Update: The GPSXC developer is adding a ROT13 en/decoding feature so you can decode and encode those hints on the fly without a cheatsheet or brainstrain...

Edited by GPScappoose

Hello.

This is a very old thread but maybe this could be interesting. Take a look at

http://www.smartcaching.de

I wrote this application because I didn't find one for my 6680. It is in a kind of ALPHA state but I use it for quite a long time now and it works for most caches. I'm going to add more features from time to time.

Best Regards,

Dimi