Merigold And Sd Cards

I just bought a MeriGold which I waiting for to come, and I had a few questions.

Do I need to have an SD card to use this unit out of the box?

What size SD card is recommended?

I already have a Magellan Roadmate 500 for the car, this unit will really just be used for Geocaching.

Edited by Mfurman
I just bought a MeriGold which I waiting for to come, and I had a few questions.

Do I need to have an SD card to use this unit out of the box?

What size SD card is recommended?

I already have a Magellan Roadmate 500 for the car, this unit will really just be used for Geocaching.

I have a MeriYellow and it does not need to use the SD slot out of the box.

The SD card gives you the capabilities to add additional maps, routes, and waypoints on your system.

Not to mention you can load all those onto the SD card using your PC and then put it in the GPSr for use.

No serial cable and slow transfers.

The greatest part of having an SD card is being able to store as many waypoints as you want in different files and loading them in as you want.

I have about 10 different waypoint files on my SD card and about 5 detail maps.

Also, I have had to do a full reset in the field of my unit and then was able to just load the waypoints back in from SD and keep on caching.

Otherwise, my day would have been over and I would have to go home to reload my waypoints.

I have a 256MB SD and it is more than enough for me.

If you travel alot and want more detail maps of various places on the card then you might want to look at 512MB or larger. I haven't kept up with the max size limitations with the latest firmwares. Anybody else know the SD card size limitation with the latest firmware?

Kenneth

You sure can. The cable works fine for that, because waypoints don't take up that much space in the pipeline. If and when you get a card (I go along with the 256MB size, BTW), maps can take a long time and you will likely want to get a USB reader to write directly to the card. I still use the cable if I only have waypoints to transfer, though.

You will find lots of useful info in the FAQs listed in my sig line.

I still use the cable if I only have waypoints to transfer, though.

Me, too. I can load several hundred waypoints in the time it takes me to remove the back cover, the batteries, remove the SD card, find my reader, remember which device it's on, do the xfter, reverse the process, and get the unit booted for manual inspection.

For maps, it's well worth the bother. Well, with the price of SD cards in a continual down spiral, it's worth buying big enough cards to avoid the bother even then. :-)