By Boat Cache

:lol: Hey all, I was talking to a my freind that got me into geocaching and sugested as we live near the chesepeake and its many water ways placing a cache in the H2O near by. Basicly it would be in an area where only flat bottom boats could go (canoes etc...) with a small bouy attached and anchored with a small weight. Has this been done and is there any legal reasons not too that I don't know of?

Thanks

30/90 has placed a few in New Orleans (U-Boat is one) along the bike path along Lake Ponchartrain. He has had some teething troubles, but they work. They are pillbottles weighted down with bricks. They are accessible when there is low tide by walking on the rocks.

As far as maintenance, I don't think I would place one of these myself (he lives very close, I believe). The more permanent you make it, the more difficult to replace when it breaks - the less sturdy, the easier to replace, but the more likely to be compromised...

You asked about legal reasons. Make sure that your cache site complies with all laws and regulations pertaining to navigation. For example, you can't drop your own permanent buoy in the middle of a busy shipping channel, nor interefere with existing navigational aids.