Gps

flyers

eTrex yellow is probably your best bet for a bargain. If you want a mapping GPSr, go with the Legend. They are pretty much the gold standard for inexpensive units.

That said, there are dozens of people on here and I am sure you will get dozens of opinions.

I like my Magellan Meridian, but then its the only one I have ever used...

Look at a lot of different ones and check out the onliner manuals (manufacturers web site) of units you are interested in to see IF you like/understand displays and you are comfortable with data entry/edit /configuration features.

Main thing to be sure of, is that it WILL connect to a computer for uploads/downloads of way points... It makes life so much simpler for keeping tack of things.

Dale

Go with the Garmin eTrex Legend - can be had on amazon for about $139 - includes mapping and the cable for computer connections - cable is extra on the yellow etrex.

I have 4 GPSrs but I still like the little handheld legend - can be operated fully with 1 hand and works great.

We are newbies and would like some suggestions on which GPS we should buy that will connect to computer, load waypoints, etc.

I think most everyone will agree that for a basic/starter GPSr with a PC connection the following three are highly recommended: Lowrance iFinder Basic, Magellan Meridian Gold, and Etrex Legend.

The Legend by far has the most market share. However many cachers (including myself) prefer the other two for the simple, but very important, reason of removable/expandable memory. I have an iFinder Basic and still think it's the absolute best value today. Regardless I think you should privately research their features and purchase one of the three I listed.

Good Luck, reid.

Edited by reidster

I have to disagree with your statement about the Magellan Meridian Gold being a basic starter GPS (with PC connection). And, I personally do not put the Merigold in the same ballpark as the Legend. I have a Merigold and I fully researched before I made my purchase and between the 2, the Merigold is a better unit IMHO. I have used both and so the decision was easy.