Cache Trip Photo Story

Jarom

I made an experimental photo story about cache search trip to the 270 m high Pisa hill at Nilsiä.

The story is available at http://personal.inet.fi/perhe/ollikainen/Pisa2004.wmv (size 4,8 Mb).

There are some finnish texts on the story, but the storyline is quite obvious without the texts.

If you don't have Windows Media Player 9 or newer, you may have to download some additional video codecs from Microsoft's webpages.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

----------

Parempia kätköilyolosuhteita odotellessa värkkäilin valokuvatarinan viimesyksyisestä kätköilyreissusta Nilsiän Pisalle.

Tarina on ladattavissa videotiedostona osoitteessa http://personal.inet.fi/perhe/ollikainen/Pisa2004.wmv (koko 4,8 Mt).

Jos koneessasi ei ole Windows Media Player 9:ää tai uudempaa, saatat tarvita lisäkoodekkeja Microsoftin sivuilta.

Tämän teosteoksen käyttöoikeutta koskee Creative Commons lisenssi.

:):D:D Really great story! B):D:D

You have caught the spirit of your cache trip exactly like we dreamed when we were planning those caches. (except inaccurate coordinates :rolleyes: )

We are just unable to express it as well as you have done!

Thank You!

------------------------------------------------------------------

:D:DB) Mahtavaa! :D:D:D

Olet vanginnut kätköreissun tunnelman todella hienosti.

Noin mekin sitä ajattelimme kätköjä suunnitellessamme.

(tosin epätarkat koordinaatit nolottaa :D )

Me emme vaan osaa ilmaista sitä lähimainkaan yhtä hyvin kuin olet sen tuossa tehnyt!

Suurkiitokset!

Thank you for feedback :D It encourages to continue publishing possible new works in the future.

Shambbu:

except inaccurate coordinates

Don't worry. I would have found the first cache much easier if I would not have been so stubborn and would have used the hint earlier. The trip was magnificent experience. Without the caches I propably would have never visited Pisa. Thank you very much for the fine caches.

Tip: I created the story video with Microsoft Photo Story 3, which is available for downloading for all owners of legal Windows XP, Home Edition and Professional alike. More information on Microsoft's webpages.

The program is very easy to use (in my opinion). After practising a while, creating stories takes little time.

- - - - - - -

Kiitos kaikille palautetta antaneille :rolleyes: Kannustaa jatkossakin julkaisemaan mahdollisia uusia tuotoksia...

Shambbu:

epätarkat koordinaatit nolottaa

Älkää murehtiko, olisin löytänyt ensimmäisenkin kätkön paljon helpommin, jos olisin aikaisemmin antanut itselleni luvan käyttää vihjettä apuna. Reissu oli hieno elämys, enkä olisi ehkä koskaan käynyt Pisalla ilman kätköjä. Kiitos hienoista kätköistä!

Vinkki: kuvakertomus on tehty Microsoft Photo Story 3:lla, jonka jokainen laillisen Windows XP:n (Home ja Professional) omistaja voi ladata ilmaiseksi Microsoftin sivuilta.

Ohjelma on saatavilla useilla eri käyttöliittymäkielillä suomi mukaan luettuna. Photo Story:ä on helppo käyttää ja kuvakertomukset syntyvät suhteellisen nopeasti jo pienen opettelun jälkeen (ainakin minun mielestä).

Ah, yet another reason to get a new computer. I have Win98 and I am able to see the show only partially (hear the music, see some texts and some pictures). But from that I can see that the artwork is great and this immediately encourages me to travel to the Pisa mountain next summer.

Thanks for that! You've done pioneering work here.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Kaa, keppolos imea tenne kou serpatima daator. Mulon Windows nittiotta ja ken tarkimus sekala perleke shoov itarastaja (muusika, teksi og kuveja visiibilistänny).

Kus tehkee leppo omma arti stoor-artig, hetimite Pisabärgi minæ ooka kesäsä. Keitos! Pioneeri työvoimatoimisto!

- - - - - - - - - - -

In accordance with the new unwritten policy in our subforum, I have provided here a Finnish translation of the message, but I'm afraid it's only Piirka level. I hope it is still understandable to most of our Norwegian readers...

Pedro Cunha

"Onde é o cache mais próximo?"

Os geocachers pobres de Brasil

(edited some grammatical errors in various languages)

Edited by Pecchio
Kaa, keppolos imea tenne kou serpatima daator. Mulon Windows nittiotta ja ken tarkimus sekala perleke shoov itarastaja (muusika, teksi og kuveja visiibilistänny).

Kus tehkee leppo omma arti stoor-artig, hetimite Pisabärgi minæ ooka kesäsä. Keitos! Pioneeri työvoimatoimisto!

ROFL :laughing::rolleyes:<_<

--------------------------------------------

Great video, Jarom! Is the music composed by yourself, or what?

... I have provided here a Finnish translation ...

Looks like Estonian translation to me but maybe not after all....

Upea viteo ja hienot maisemat, löytyihän sieltä MS:n sivuilta kaksitonniseenkin käypä näyttäjä.

Great story, there is a player 9 for WIN2K too on the Microsoft pages

Edited by Erwast

There's now a mpg version available of the video: http://personal.inet.fi/perhe/ollikainen/Pisa2004_en.mpg (size 10,7 Mb).

I believe it will work with wider range of computers. It is temporary version though as I try to make it smaller with better quality. I think the final release will be divx encoded avi file. If you know good programs and conversion methods, please let me know by private message or email. I'm no pro in video processing.

By the way - I translated those few picture texts to english in this version.

The music in the story is computer generated :) There are about 20 different melodies to choose which you can slightly variate with couple simple adjustments. The result in this particular case exceeded my expectations. The MS Photo Story is able to use music also from mp3 files. But as I'm no musician either, I chose to use generated music instead.

- - - - - - - - -

Jos wmv-muotoinen videotiedosto ei toimi koneessasi, voit nyt kokeilla mpg-versiota: http://personal.inet.fi/perhe/ollikainen/Pisa2004_en.mpg (koko 10,7 Mt).

Tämä versio on tekstitetty englanniksi ja on suuresta koostaan huolimatta valitettavasti huonompilaatuinen. Uskoisin että se toimii useimmissa koneissa. Yritän kuitenkin tehdä vielä vähemmän tilaa vievän ja parempilaatuisen version. Luultavasti päädyn divx-pakattuun avi-tiedostoon.

Videon musiikki on luotu lähes automaattisesti MS Photo Storyllä :o Ohjelmassa on valittavissa noin 20 melodiaa, joita voi hieman muokata muutaman yksinkertaisen asetuksen avulla. Lopputulos ylitti reilusti odotukseni. Musiikkina voi käyttää myös mp3-tiedostoja. Valitsin konemusiikin koska en osaa säveltää enkä jaksanut etsiä sopivaa musiikkia ja hankkia käyttöoikeuksia.

Well, not that anyone really gives a Hoover dam, but even the new mpg version is way too sophisticated and advanced for my teletext machine... When I tried the Windows Media player version, the program had to download a whole lot of new modules and dll's and whatnot to even be able to open the show and then all I got was some text and a couple of measly pictures fleeting by. I was able to hear the music though. I'm sorry if I accurately described your video show here... :)

No, really, I'll try to move my tongue off my cheek here. No more sarcasm.

The mpg version was opened by Real Player that said that it couldn't play anything without updating some components and then it announced that there really were no updates available so have a radiant day, sir and p**s off. So the mpg version is like complete rubbish as far as my year 1999 state-of-the-art computer is concerned.

My point here is NOT that Jarom should bend over backwards to write some kind of AmigaBasic program for poor sods like me, but rather I'm acknowledging the fact that my tools have become so old that they are not cut out for today's demands.

I will not go into the argument of whether I honestly agree with myself here...

So, I thank you for the show that I was able to see from the cheapest seats in the theatre. I have downloaded both files on my computer to wait for brighter times and some kind of a 3 GHz Windows 2500 power broker to run them...

Keep up the good work!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On niin vanha kone, ettei Jaromin hienot videot toimi.

Täytyy välillä näköjään vähän surkutella itseään julkisesti.

Siitä vähästä, jonka sain esille Pisa-videosta, vaikutti tosi hyvältä. Oikeasti innostuin menemään kesällä sinne käymään (ja tarkistamaan eTrexini korkeusmittaria).

Kiitos myös Shambbulle kätköjen tekemisestä sinne. Kiinnostava kesämatka Nilsiään tiedossa loma-aikana sitten. Jee.

My point here is NOT that Jarom should bend over backwards to write some kind of AmigaBasic program for poor sods like me

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On niin vanha kone, ettei Jaromin hienot videot toimi.

Well I like this kind of challenges :laughing: Peccio, hold on for a moment before throwing your computer out of the window. If you want, you could give a try for an excellent and lightweight video codec program called FFDSHOW. It can be downloaded from afterdawn.com.

And I recommend video player software called BSplayer.

I'll try to find video format wich has good balance of quality, file size and compatibility.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Tällaiset koneongelmat vain herättävät taistelutahtoni :) Peccio, älä ihan vielä heitä konettasi järveen. Jos vielä viitsit, kokeilisitko erinomaista ja tehokasta videokoodekkien purkuohjelmaa nimeltä FFDSHOW, joka on ladattavissa mm. afterdawn.com:sta.

Katseluohjelmaksi suosittelen

BSPlayer:ia.

Yritän löytää videotiedostomuodon, joka tarjoaisi tasapainoisesti hyvän kuvanlaadun, pienen tilankulutuksen ja laajan yhteensopivuuden.