Cityselect-metroguide Difference ??

Well my first gps unit arrived today (76cs) along with the software that I ordered for autorouting capability.

The problem is that I ordered the Mapsource CitySelect software (for autorouting with the 76cs) but they sent me the MetroGuide software.

From what I can tell CitySelect and MetroGuide provide the same functionality but for different Garmin units. Being a complete rookie to all this does anyone know what the differences are between CitySelect and MetroGuide and does MetroGuide work with the 76cs ? Do I need to return the software and get the CitySelect for my 76cs?

Would really appreciate any info.

At least the right GPSr showed up so I can get started !!!

Cheers

The maps and Points-Of-Interest are the same, but MetroGuide will only auto-route on your PC, not provide the data needed by your 76cs to auto-route. So while it will "work" with your GPS, I'd strongly recommend you exchange it so you get the advantages of auto-routing directly in the GPS receiver. CitySelect will auto-route both on the PC and on your 76cs, so that's the one recommended by Garmin for your unit.

Now I am getting scared, I just ordered City Select v6 from Amazon tonight and now I see these threads about actually receiving Metroguide. This is the URL of the product I bought, I will keep you guys updated on what I get.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...e=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Past performance does not guarantee future results. B)

There hasn't been a reply from the O.P. of this thread - could be co-incidence, or maybe a problem at Garmin?

Just to be absolutely sure, If it were me, I'd send them an email and let them know somethin' funky might be going on there.

I have Metroguide Canada and USA and have udsed both of them on my 60c in both countries and they both auto route just fine in my GPSr

I'm guessing that your MG USA is version... 4? That is the only USA version of MetroGuide that ever autorouted.

People are getting version 6 from the stores now! Some "foreign" MetroGuides of later versions will autoroute too.

MetroGuide USA versions 5 and 6 do NOT autoroute on the GPSr!

Edited by Neo_Geo

I am not sure of the version but am glad that I have the capability.

Dont really want to get the newest version because chances of me needing to find a brand new street are slim.

My newest software is Bluechart and its really nice. Usless for those who dont live near the ocean. If I go on a Cruise I know that Ill be bringing my GPS loaded with the ocean charts just for the fun of it.

I also just purchased a new Garmin mushroom antenna. Havent used it yet but will get a chance this long weekend. I bought it so that I can use it when hiking.It will also attach to my Yakima roof racks with great ease.

I currently have it rigged up on a pole so that I can slide the antenna on its pole into a backpack and the antenna will be above the hikers head but not so high that it will be in the way of anything.The antenna will work much better than the quad helix.

What I will be able to do is hike where ever I want and then plot my route onto maps and get an accurate idea of distance traveled, elevation gain etc. More accurate than with out an external antenna. It will also eliminate the need to have the GPS in hand all the time or with a view of the sky. It can be tucked away in a pockect etc and still be reading the sky.

If anyone wants to see how Ive done this feel free to contact me and I can fill you in.

Edited by Kermode

Apologies for not replying again last night....just tooooo busy checking out and trying to figure out my new GPS--but that's another topic!!

Yes - I did order my software from Amazon and I had the exact same issue as the previous thread where the poster received Metroguide when they ordered Cityselect.

My box also has the Cityselect barcode label on the back. Seems like a batch of Metroguide boxes got tagged with the wrong barcode. I'm assuming they will give me a full refund and I'll just have to reorder Cityselect.