Anyone Fancy A Night In A Paris Gaol?

Pieman

I`ve just spent a few days in Paris and managed to fit in a few caches in what is a relative cache desert for a major city. I noticed a new one "Transit in CDG" that has been placed at the airport. As I had some time to kill before the flight, I decided to give it a go. I think we can safely assume that the cache has been placed without the agreement of the airport. It is on airport property 150 yards from patrolling armed guards and at the back of a carpark which is overlooked by several hundred airport offices. Neither the prettiest nor the safest place to search for a cache. I can thoroughly recommend it if you fancy explaining geocaching to a soldier holding a gun to your head! Interesting approval procedure they must have for French caches...

Just make sure you're prepared properly. Do it at night, and wear all black clothes, hood and balaclava should do the trick ;)

Or, go the other way and wear a flourescent vest, and carry a large black plastic bag, then the soldiers will just think you're picking up litter (and you can CITO at the same time!)

Edited by NickPick

It makes me wonder if the cache reviewers work to different guidelines in other countries. I was going to attampt This Cache a few weeks ago.

When I arrived at the airport I found the cache was about 100M from the main terminal entrance. On top of that two armed guards were standing about 10M away on an elevated roadway.

I am not at all sure that writing "This Is Not A Bomb" on the side of the cache would convince any official finding it.

You can imagine the great publicity Geocaching would get if this type of cache caused a major incident.

In the UK we have had caches archived that were a long way from airports, this is quite right in the times we live.

Don't the same guidelines apply in other countries?

Dave - The Gecko's

I`ve just spent a few days in Paris and managed to fit in a few caches in what is a relative cache desert for a major city.  I noticed a new one "Transit in CDG" that has been placed at the airport.

France is a relative cache desert for a major country !

Can you give the waypoint number for the CDG cache ? I can't find it...

BTW, it might be more than a night in prison. The French media have been slagging off the Americans for Guantanamo ever since 9/11, but when the 3 or 4 French suspects from there were released, they disappeared into a French prison and haven't been seen since! Makes Mr. Clarke's electronic tagging look very namby-pamby... oops, drifting off-topic.

Edited by sTeamTraen