Tupperware Replicator One Step Closer

Not so, rapid prototyping is very much a reality, and its little more complex than a printer in operation.

Given the current state of the technology its not unbelieveable that RP units will become commonplace if not a household object, since this idea is about as concievable as a computer in every home was in the 1970s

The only problem is that - even when you have the machine, you'll still have to buy the "software" - i.e. the blueprints for the household objects...

What's the betting that Tupperware will sell the blueprint for about the price of the original box? And then, the raw materials will work out to about the cost of a box as well?

Who knows? But I bet there's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

:D

Bob Aldridge

The only problem is that - even when you have the machine, you'll still have to buy the "software" - i.e. the blueprints for the household objects...

What's the betting that Tupperware will sell the blueprint for about the price of the original box? And then, the raw materials will work out to about the cost of a box as well?

Who knows? But I bet there's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

:rolleyes:

Bob Aldridge

Actually this isnt a problem, the 'software' is just about any solid model CAD package, which are becomming more and more commonplace, and a lot cheaper. though I dare say that when these first become a household object you will find that they will be bundled in such a way that you will need to buy the designs.

The combination of RP and solid CAD is truly awesome, and surprisingly accessible, in many ways Ive found it easier to teach people how to do Solids CAD over 2D CAD

I'm worried about this...A machine that re-produces? What happens when it runs out of space and decides that humans are in its way? It's definitely another pre-cursor to the Rise Of The Machines.. Thay'll be enslaving us soon!

Reproducing itself isnt a concern, its being able to think and reason for itself that will be a danger, anyone who has done computer programming will now how computers can come up with surprising results when you least expect it.

The best reference for this line of thought is as always Issac Azimov, if we were able to build artificial inteligence into a machine then there would have to be a 'three laws' type interrupt hardwired into the 'brain' in order to protect us from our creations