Just Bought The Garmin Etrex Legend

Nick428

If you're in the US, then I'd recommend getting USAPhotoMaps

http://jdmcox.com for seeing USGS topomaps and aerial photos on your PC and being able to up/download waypoints and tracklogs from your Legend to display on the maps (won't download maps to the Legend though).

As mentioned, EasyGPS is good for transferring waypoints from the geocaching site to your Legend and also for maintaining files of waypoints/routes/tracklogs.

Both of the above programs are free or donation-ware.

Garmin's map software to download to your Legend isn't really necessary for geocaching but it is nice to have and makes the unit much more useful for other things.

Their MetroGuide-North America maps are probably the most generally useful for finding your way around while traveling or just to look up addresses and business locations. But if the cost is an issue that map purchase can be deferred. There'll probably be a new release of MetroGuide sometime this summer.

You don't need anything other than your Legend to cache. I enter coordinates manually and have no need for any other process. I am not a power cacher so if your plan is to try and hit 20 caches a day you might want to consider getting more technical and expensive. Some people get a great deal of satisfaction trying various combinations of software to help improve the usefulness of their GPSr. I prefer paper print outs of cache pages and Mapquest directions. You can spend many hours getting software to work nicely with your GPSr. I just don't have the time or desire to manage such a small amount of data in an electronic format.

If you'd like detailed maps for your GPS (the base maps stink like a dead clam rotting in the August sun), I recommend Mapsource Topo for the Legend, largely because of the Legend's limited memory.

With Topo you can fit a lot more area than you can with Mapsoruce Metroguide or City Select. With Mapsource Topo you'll fit all of northern and central NJ into your Legend. With Metroguide (or City Select) you'd be lucky to get all of Passaic County.

Edited by briansnat
If you'd like detailed maps for your GPS (the base maps stink like a dead clam rotting in the August sun), I recommend Mapsource Topo for the Legend, largely because of the Legend's limited memory.

With Topo you can fit a lot more area than you can with Mapsoruce Metroguide or City Select. With Mapsource Topo you'll fit all of northern and central NJ into your Legend. With Metroguide (or City Select) you'd be lucky to get all of Passaic County.

I also recommend TOPO - I've no experience with the others, but I love the terrain info, even if it is at 1:100.

thanx everyone, sorry if this is a stupid qeustion but is there a way to increase the memory on my GPS?

Not a stupid question at all.

You can not increase the map memory on the Legend.

There was a update to increase the waypoints it would hold from 500 to 1000.

If you just bought your Legend new I would guess you have all the latest updates already in it from the factory.