A Newbie Asks ... Gpx And Loc

Most of the software available for geocaching, whether commercial or free, seems to accept the downloading of cache info in GPX format.... BUT...

when I look on the website, the pages that list the caches near me all have the info to download in LOC. I know some programs accept LOC as well, but am I missing something here ?

Where is the info in GPX format ?

Is it better / different ? :lol:

Currently trialling a program called CacheDragon found on the handandgo website which seems to work reasonably well with my Navman PIN, other than the fact that when importing a LOC file it doesn't bring over the hints/logs. Would a GPX file have this info ??

Thanks for your help and sorry if this is all covered somewhere else or is off-topic.

__chris__ (found first cache 13th March)

Edited by __chris__
Most of the software available for geocaching, whether commercial or free, seems to accept the downloading of cache info in GPX format.... BUT...

when I look on the website, the pages that list the caches near me all have the info to download in LOC.  I know some programs accept LOC as well, but am I missing something here ?

Is it better / different ? :rolleyes:

Currently trialling a program called CacheDragon found on the handandgo website which seems to work reasonably well with my Navman PIN, other than the fact that when importing a LOC file it doesn't bring over the hints/logs.  Would a GPX file have this info ??

Thanks for your help and sorry if this is all covered somewhere else or is off-topic.

You need to be a premium member to download GPX files. (Well worth the minimal outlay IMHO).

A GPX file contains the cache description, the hints, and the last few logs posted.

Edited by Motley Crew

you can convert LOC files to GPX using one of the many free tools available online. I have used GSAK for exactly that purpose and it works well.

although i think if you get the GPX file by becoming a payed up member, it contains a bit more data, the LOC files only have the basic coords and name, not the recent logs etc.

Edited by ClanWhippy

when I look on the website, the pages that list the caches near me all have the info to download in LOC.  I know some programs accept LOC as well, but am I missing something here ?

Is it better / different ? :rolleyes:

Currently trialling a program called CacheDragon found on the handandgo website which seems to work reasonably well with my Navman PIN, other than the fact that when importing a LOC file it doesn't bring over the hints/logs.  Would a GPX file have this info ??

I would strongly advise against CacheDragon. The author abandoned this program a fair while ago and users have reported there are still bugs in the current version.

GPXSonar would be my recommendation, and the author is still actively updating the program.

Edited by ClydeE