Cache Ratings

tands

I'm interested in opinions on the Holy Grail cache rating. What would take the difficulty rating from 4 to 5 on a single stage cache. Why? Oh no particular reason. I know about the 'bottom of the ocean caches' so don't post links to answer me. What I am looking for is opinions based in 'extreme prejudice!'

- T of TandS

Edited by tands

A search on 5/5 caches turned up a bunch of 'you need a jetski' single caches rated 5/5. In our neck of the woods that's a 3 difficulty or so. I know the guidelines spell these things out, but my quick look at single stage 5/5s showed some pretty 'easy to figure out' caches. Is there anyone who thinks you just can't have a single stage 5/5 that's not placed inside a volcano or at the bottom of the sea?

Sorry that it's not a 'Yes' or 'No' question.

- T of TandS

A 5 terrain rating only means that special equipment is needed to reach the cache site. When I say special equipment, Im referring to things that the average person won't have access to or training on how to use it.

The only 5/5 cache was qute a pleasant walk through the woods until I found a 60' cliff with the cache sitting on a ledge 30' up.

So, to answer your question, as long as specialized equipment is needed to reach the cache, a 5 terrain rating is warranted. (at least I hope that answered your question :lol: )

Edited by WH

Coming up with the level 5 for difficulty is actually a hard one to figure out, what may be difficult for you could be easy for me, but on the average it should have more challenges that a standard walk in the woods.

The level 5 for terrain actually doesn't require specialized equipment, according to the guidelines Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

And I plan on doing a 5 x 5 this spring, and the local terrain will definately help kick it up a notch or two. Because the second part of the cache starts aroung 8100 ft. and goes over 11,200 for a little distance of 5.25 miles one way.

What would take the difficulty rating from 4 to 5 on a single stage cache. I know about the 'bottom of the ocean caches' so don't post links to answer me.

In this quote, you are confusing Difficulty with Terrain.

Bottom of the ocean caches would most likely be 5-star terrain because it would require special equipment and skills to get to. But you haven't provided any indication of the difficulty--that is how hard it is to locate the cache.

Artificially associating the two ratings is a common mistake. I've found many caches with correct high-terrain ratings, that have incorrect difficulty ratings. Probably since the owner figured that if it required a long hike, that the difficulty rating should also be high, even though the cache is not well hidden.

So.. to answer your question--what is the question? Are you asking about difficulty or terrain?

Jamie

A difficulty 5, in my opinion:

Should probably be a puzzle cache of some kind, or require special knowledge for finding or opening the cache (I've heard of caches with a combination lock or a lock that requires a lockpick to open-- that's very spefcialized)

Or could be very well hidden or camo'd-- a really convincing fake rock in a pile of rocks, for example.

Hidden somewhere that people don't expect to look (in the branches of a tree, for instance-- as long as you don't have to climb the tree to get it, but most cachers look down, not up).

Or could be an unusual enough container that it camo's well-- a tube that's buried up to the cap (which is green and has astroturf on it to camo it like grass, for example), and removing the cap opens the cache, for example.

Somewhere on the boards I saw a good description of the difference between Terrain and Difficulty: Terrain is everything you go through until you're at the cache site. Difficulty is everything you go through to get to the log book once you're there.

Artificially associating the two ratings is a common mistake. I've found many caches with correct high-terrain ratings, that have incorrect difficulty ratings. Probably since the owner figured that if it required a long hike, that the difficulty rating should also be high, even though the cache is not well hidden.

I think this is easy to do as it GC.com on there definition for difficulty and terrrain are the same, this is from the hide a cache page using some cgi page to help reate you cache. Both of the difficulty and terrrain use the following verbage.

Cache is in plain sight or location is fairly obvious.

Cache could be in one of several locations. Hunter may have to look for a while.

Cache may be very well hidden, may be multi-leg, or may use clues to location.

Cache likely requires special skills, knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days or trips to find

Finding this cache requires very specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment. This is a serious mental or physical challenge.

A 5 difficulty/terrain I would say use specialized equipment. A 5+ mile hike from 8000 to 11000 feet is a walk in the wood in Colorado. A 5 terrain difficilty would require climbing skills, scuba skills, or how to use a canoe etc.... But then each person is differant and yes what would be a 5 for you may be a 3 for me or vice versa. But it is not and should not be subjective. I guess the best thing we can do is warn folks of the kind of trouble they are going to get into in seeking/finding the cache.

O'well it is only a game.

cheers