Handheld Pc Requirements?

I purchased a Palm IIIxe but with no software. I could download the software ok from palm website, but could not install, even with great help from fellow geocachers. (I am selling it now.) My question is do all handhelds work with windows XP? Many of them, i noticed, do not have the xp listed on the pc requirements note. Will they work anyway? I am ready to go paperless, but want to buy the right model first with software this time. Caching is really all I will use the device for. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you are doing this on your own computer and you have only the one account on your cp it should just load up. If your computer has different setting for different users you will need to log in as admin. by logging off as a user then logging back on as admin. That is if you are the admin. of that computer. At work you will need to get your I.T. admin to set you up, or to give you admin rights for your work computer.

Oh yes by the way I am running XP and I am tied in with a Palm111xe

Edited by Cachengrab

Any account can be set up with admin rights or limited rights. You have to have admin rights in order to change an account. This permits you to let you kids log on under their own names, for example, and set up their desktop like they want it, but stops them from making any serious changes to the computer.

Open Control Panel, select User Accounts, and all the accounts on the machine should be shown, and will show as either computer administrator or limited account. You have to be logged in on an administrator account in order to install Palm desktop. This is a feature, not a bug. :(

OK. yes, this is a home pc windows XP and I am the administrator. I just went out yesterday and purchased a refurbished palmIIIxe with software this time. I placed the disk in the drive and clicked to setup for install. It wanted to place it in C:/ just like the downloaded setup from palm wanted to do. I do not have a drive C:/ on my pc, it is labeled E:/, so I changed the location to place the files. It accepts this change and downloads the files to my pc. But, once again it stalls on installation with Error 1327 Invalid Drive C:/, System has not been modified.

I went to Microsoft and downloaded the latest version of ActiveSync, but this is still not helping to get desktop software installed. The pc will still not reconize the palm connection to the pc. How do I modify the system? I need big help. Vacation coming soon and hoped to be going paperless by then. Heading to the Big Thicket of SouthEast Texas and attempt a few caches. Thanks for any advice, again, TexasTornados

Using a drive letter other than C:\ is normally done to fool badly written spyware, trojans and viruses from installing.

This is the risk people take when they choose to use a different drive letter other than C:\ for their system drive as there is some earlier software which is also just as badly written enough it won't completely recognize the change of the installation location.

You might want to try updating your pocket pc choice towards something more current or take the time to reinstall your system so that the system drive is C:\.