Ready To Make A Purchase/upgrade

I have a Garmin Extrex and am looking to upgrade. Recently I purchased MS Streets and Maps with the GPS receiver as I was thinking about getting a PDA.

What I am looking for is something that will allow me to Geocache and at the same time I want something for the car so when I go on trips I will have the GPS/Maps to find my way.

I don't need all the fancy gadgets that come with a PDA such as an MP3 player but some of the standard utilities on it I could use. I also thought about dumping the PDA idea and going with a GPS that will allow me to use it for travel and for geocaching.

I'm looking to keep it under $500, What would you guys reccommend? What do you guys use?

Thanks,

Dave

I am not a big fan of using a palm or pocket PC as a GPS' They are not as rugged and are not water proof. If you want a palm or ppc get a real cheap one so that when you drop it you will not be out of a lot of money. Then get a real GPS to use with it.

Not knowing if you do not have lots of Garmin Software already.

My choice is the Magellan meridian gold with direct route software, you will also need and SD card to load maps onto, All this should keep you in the price range you requseted.

If you already have garmin software then form what others have mentoined in other threads Maybe the GPS 60 or 60C.

Look beyond just the GPS and compare Garmin and Magellan software

As far as TOPO software, Magellan’s map send TOPO includes all street names, Garmin map source TOPO only has names of major roads. Also with Magellan the while running map send TOPO the GPS will display a terrain projection of the course in front of you, Garmin will not do this.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Once again I agree with Johny Vegas. I use a Magellan Meridian Platinum for driving navigation and for caching. I don't use Direct Route (Magellan software which autoroutes you to your destination), but the GPS can run the software. I simply use the Topo 3D program for the mapping. The street info is very useful for driving and the Topo detail is great for caching. Good luck.

Nothing beats autorouting to help you find your way in a strange town. For that you need an autorouting GPS. Autorouting on your PDA by hooking up your GPS is just a PITA when you can have one device that does it well already.

I do not think Topo alone even if it does include road names is going to be what you are looking for.

In Garmin autorouting GPSs are the GPS V, Legend C, Vista C, 60C/S, 76CS. Find the right deal and even with the auto kit and City Select software you can meet your budget. I don't know the Magelland line well enough to point out the autorouting GPSs.

In Garmin pick the GPS with enough memory to hold the maps for the area you will be wanting to load into the GPS.

Nothing beats autorouting to help you find your way in a strange town. For that you need an autorouting GPS. Autorouting on your PDA by hooking up your GPS is just a PITA when you can have one device that does it well already.

Huh? It's all blue tooth man. Just turn them both on and go. :rolleyes: