Yellow Etrex - New Firmware?

A friend just purchased a yellow eTrex at Wal-Mart, and I noticed it has a number of new features, including a new info page with ~5 user-configurable fields, a WAAS mode, and more. The firmware version is 3.0, but the latest firmware availble on the Garmin web site is 2.14.

I've Googled and found nothing about a new FW release for the eTrex. Anyone know anything about this, or did my friend get some kind of pre-production prototype or user hack?

Steve

Edited by stestardi
You sure he didn't get a legend or a venture in a Yellow skin?

Yep. No click-stick (or click-stick UI), and it has the same low resolution of an eTrex or eTrex Summit. The info page I mentioned is very similar to the Legend's Trip Computer page, but with fewer fields.

This unit has a hardware upgrade. The firmware version 3.0 will not work in the older/other models. There was some discussion on this on the eTrex yahoo group as well as in the sci.geo.satellite-nav newsgroup, but nobody has come up with any link to advertising of this unit. Seems a bit secretive.

I called Garmin today and was told that about 3 months ago both the basic eTrex and Summit were rolled to include new HW and FW that supports new features including WAAS. The FW upgrade will not be applicable to the old units. The agent was evasive and would not discuss when the web site would be updated to reflect the new features / firmware.

I think Garmin realizes they'll have an inventory problem on their hands if people figure out that a new version is available, so they'll wait until the old version is flushed through the system before publicizing the new features. Seems like a silly strategy in retrospect -- why not introduce them as new models and benefit from the publicity? As it stands, they've just added 1 minute to each support phone call as the agent instructs the customer hiow to identify which version they have.

Unfortunately I didn't see my friend's box so I don't know if the version change is apparant form the packaging -- any one else know?

Edited by stestardi