Newbie Needs Advice

Waverley Wonderers

Hello to all!!! I just joined this new adventure. I have done some preliminary reading on Geocaching and before I jump in, I would like some advice on what GPS unit I should consider to purchase. I have focused on the Garmin GPSMAP60sc as a good start.

All comments, experiences are welcome. Also, where in the Toronto area can I visit a retailer, see these instruments and get some more advice?

thanks

WW

:rolleyes:

Hey there.

Congrats on getting a gps ( soon)!! You willlove caching. The Cs is a godo one. I have the GPSMAP 60 C and I have no regrets on spending the extra** on it for the extra features. I had a Garmin legend when I first started and enjoyed it very much, except for the Clik stick joystick-like button that would navigate the menus. It would get gummed up at times and well just wasn't a good idea for a controller.

I internet ordered my brand spanking new GPSMAP60C from Gpscity in Calgary even before the unti was out in the stores and loved it immediately. No click stick ( just plain old push buttons) and well its color which is a huge leap. It has autorouting too ( which is amazing while driving to caches, just follow its directions and you get there in good order!).

My rule of thumb for questions like this: Buy what you can afford based on the features you NEED. I wanted color badly to see park areas etc etc while driving without having to squint at the gps to distinguise shaded areas. (legend was black and white). I also figured autorouting would com ein handy going to places I had never been too. Does all the calculating best route stuff for me!!

I don't think you will regret the Cs. I think it too has the Geocachign feature built in as well so you'llalready have your little "treasure chest" icon open and closed for your caches!! :grin:

The reality is that *any* GPS works great for Geocaching - the one exception might be a fish finder as you'll have to carry around a deep cycle lead acid battery. :rolleyes:

In Toronto I can recommend Radioworld in the north west. See http://www.radioworld.ca/ They do price match but lately I've found their prices competitive enough anyway. I've been dealing with them for about 8 years and their after-sale service has always been good.

Cheers!

C-A

Welcome to this crazy world of Geocaching! You won't find a better bunch of people than the group around here. Everyone is very helpful and ready to get you going.

I have dealt with RadioWorld in Toronto too. They carry all if not most of the available GPS units and are very knowledgeable about them. I bought my first unit - a Magellean Sportrak Map and my second one, a Garmin 60CS there.

With regards to the 60CS - I would go for the 60C rather than the CS if I had my choice. The extra compass and barometer suck up the batteries quickly and I usually keep the compass turned off. Having to recalculate the compass after each battery change is a pain. Just my .02 worth!

Hope to see you out at one of our events.

Go with the Garmin GPSMap 60C, it is all you need. Later, when it is required just purchase a regular compass because when you run out of batteries its nice to have a back-up.

I have purchased 2 units from www.gpscentral.ca and am very happy with the service. Batteries come free with the unit and while you are ordering your new unit, get some nice Geocaching stuff at the same time, identifies you as one of the players and not a muggle.

Binrat

Good advice so far - as was stated just about any GPS will work for Geocaching. Beyond that it depends what features you want and what else you may use it for.

Mapping is nice to have, but you have to pay extra for mapping software. Electronic compass is nice, but a regular compass works just as well and doesn't burn batteries.

As fas as brands are concerned I sit on both sides of the fence, I have 3 Gamins and 2 Magellans. They each have their good points and bad points. In a perfect world there are features on each that I would combine.

Give us an idea of what you'll be using it for, besides geocaching, and what features you think you'd like. And try to get some hands on experience, it may sound silly but you'll get far more use out of something that feels good in your hand and has a menu layout that you're comfortable with.

I deal with GPSCentral.ca on a regular basis and it's hard to beat their serive.

Most of all have fun!