Gps + Email

I read a story about GPSr's that have the capability to also email. The only unit I have found that seems to be able to do that is the magellan GSC 100. Its an old unit, over 7 years and big and clunky. I was wondering if anyone has heard of a GPSr that you could email with. Thanks in advance for any info.

Ohhh hang on,,, I see now you're asking about a portable unit that sends/receives email etc "directly to the satellite" .. Umm nope none of these suggested iQues, Compaqs, or Blackberries actually communicate back to the satellite.. and seems that old Magellan GSC doesn't have any younger brothers doing that either.

Geez I don't know who would make such a device, especially a device conceivably affordable for the consumer market. I'm sure corporations & military & government would have such stuff available though. There are satellite phones on the market, but I don't think any of them also incorporate a GPSr..

Forum users have reported that these units may be too delicate for rural geocaching.

I have seen a lot of reference to this and just wanted to add my two cents. Yes, these are not "throw in the sand, pick up and dust off" units, but I use my PDAs in the field all the time and have yet to break one. They are not waterproof. So what. For $25, I got a great LITTLE BAG I can put my PDA (or anything else, for that matter) into and it is now waterproof and dirt free. I can even use the PDA through the bag, so no need to take it out. If I were really going to get extreme, I might use something like THIS. With just a bit of common sense, they work just fine for the average cacher.

You can even get a GPRS card, which will turn your PDA into a cell phone, or use a cable to link to a cell phone. Now you have mobile internet. Isn't technology great?!?

While the cell phone adapter can work, it will not work 100% of the time, there are places were cell phone just don't work.

The idea of transmitting to a sattelite sounds like a good idea, unit you start to factor the extra drain on the batteries the function of transmitting is going to create. It takes more power to send a tansmission than it take to recieve one.