Tracks From 60c Into Microsoft Streets And Trips

Hello All.

I am really hesitant to post this but I spent all night last night trying to figure this out.

Here is what I am trying to do, followed by what I've done and why it failed.

>>I am trying to take a track history from my Garmin GPSmap 60C and transfer it over to my Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005. This is so I can see where I drove/walked for the day on a higher and more accurate level than I get with Garmin's MapSource program. I do not have MetroGuide Canada 4.

Here is what I've tried....

->Connected my GPS using the USB cable from my 60C and used the S&T GPS Task Pane.... failed since S&T doesn't support USB

->Connected my GPS using a serial cable from my 60C and used the S&T GPS Task Pane.... failed since there are no Serial Drivers for the 60C and/or S&T doesn't identify my GPS on com 1 or com 3. I know my cable works since I've used it for GSAK before I registered GSAK to get USB support.

->Downloaded the Track to MapSource.... failed because I cannot export it in any format that Microsoft S&T understands.

->Tried to use GSAK since I know it can export to S&T..... failed because I cannot figure out how to upload 'tracks' to GSAK, couldn't find anything in the HELP file that related.

So after all of that I tried to search this forum for anyone with a similar request, and honestly I'm not good at searching a forum. So even if someone can point me at a thread in this forum that would help, or if anyone knows an easy way to basically do that following it would be great.

"Take a track record that is on a Garmin 60C and transfer it to a computer and usccessfully load it into Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005 so that the driven/walked track can be viewed."

Sorry if I am asking something that has come up before, I really cannot find it in this forum.

:lol: The Blue Quasar

"Take a track record that is on a Garmin 60C and transfer it to a computer and usccessfully load it into Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005 so that the driven/walked track can be viewed."

Have a look at ST2GPX I've only used it for extracting waypoints and route points from S&T files but the FAQ has the following:

How do I import a GPS track or other GPX data into Streets & Trips, AutoRoute or MapPoint?

First you need to have the data in GPX format - see GPSBabel for that. Then you need to chose your import file, it can be a template map or one with your existing data in it. Be sure to backup this file! Then the command is: st2gpx -g gpx-in-file -F output-file-name input-file-name where gpx-in-file must be a valid GPX file; input-file-name is your existing Streets & Trips, AutoRoute or MapPoint file; and output-file-name is the new Streets & Trips, AutoRoute or MapPoint file. GPS routes and tracks will be drawn as blue poly-lines, and waypoints will be imported as pushpins.

GPSBabel.

Edited by PDOP's

If you're gonna try the GPS directly with S&T over serial, you might need to put the GPS into NMEA mode and not Garmin mode. The GPS and S&T should talk fine. Whether you can load a track recorded on the GPS into S&T, I'm not sure of.

You can probably convert using GPS Babel or another program (or pair of programs).

Edited by Team DEMP

I've been able to get a track from GPS to Streets & Trips by first downloading the GPS into ExpertGPS. EasyGPS would probably work as well.

With ExpertGPS you can move the track log into the waypoint window, creating a series of waypoints that can be exported to a csv file.

Finally, import that csv file into S & T using S & T's data import feature.

Its not the most elegant solution, but it does the trick!

If you're gonna try the GPS directly with S&T over serial, you might need to put the GPS into NMEA mode and not Garmin mode. The GPS and S&T should talk fine

This worked GREAT. Thanks "TEAM DEMP" for that info! My S&T now sees my GPS.

I am going to look into the two solutions, one from PDOP and the other from GOODGUYS.

Will post results when I have them. Thanks for the paths to follow!

:D The Blue Quasar

{edit: typo}

Edited by The Blue Quasar