Topo Usa Version 5.0 For Computer

AngelaSeely

Assuming this is the National Geographic Version (or similar...)

It will help in that it has topo maps that you can use to plan a geocaching trip. The maps are not as detailed as the State series but since you already have them they are a good place to start. If you need more detail you can buy it later.

They will work with your GPS in that you can upload and download points and routes. You will not however be able to dowload the maps themselves to your GPS. For that you have to buy the map software sold by the GPS company.

A program that works with waypoints you download from this site in the form of a GPX file you get when you run a pocket query. You can use it with LOC files (which works with EasyGPS to upload waypoints to your GPS) also, those files just don't have as much information.

It's mostly a benefit to premium members. Start with your Delorme and work up from there. There is a lot of junk to digest in this game.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Yes it will help. But if you really want to know how it will help, just do a simple cut and paste of the longitude and Latitude of a geocache that involves a hike or mountain roads. Go try and find that cache. This experiance while your on the trail/road you will teach you what information is important to you. Some people know the area around them so well that general maps are not needed, they just want detailed maps of the final location. Others like me need all the help they can get. Perferable someone else driving ;-)

The main thing I use Topo USA for is weeding out park and grab caches. I want a cache that will involve a hike/adventure/hospital trip. Otherwise all I have to write is TNLNSL (Took Nothing, Left Nothing, Signed Log). Bleck.

I use Topo USA 5.0 a lot. I'm like Dan who previously responded. I sort out "urban" caches and go for caches that require trails, hiking and bush whacking. Displaying them on a map like DeLorme Topo USA makes the filtering very simple.I wrote a very easy to use program that converts the .LOC files downloaded from the geocaching.com web site into files that can be imported into Topo USA as Draw files. These show up in Topo as symbols with the waypoint ID and name.

I share the program and it can be found at My Webpage.

Edited by fw_ord

I love TOPO USA for printing maps for use during cache trips. I know that I have much the same info available on my Vista, but with my old eyes, it is sometimes easier to look at a paper map, and a page of map shows a lot more detail than my GPSr screen. The ability to send maps to friends as attached jpeg photos is also a nice feature. All in All, I'm a very happy user of this product an believe that once you look at all it's features, you will find several that will be useful for caching. :rolleyes: