What Unit To Get?

kreat

Hello All,

I'm looking to buy a GPS unit here soon - I'd like to find a single unit to do auto navication - with audio cues if possible for road trips and get into geocaching. I'm feelign a llittle lost looking at all the options that are out there.

I've looked at the iQue - aside from having features I don't need - I don't need a PDA - it seems a little fragile for outdoor use but it has plenty of expandable memory to hold maps for road trips.

What other models/makes are out there I should look at? I'd like something that could load a couple states worth of city map data - autoroute and be good for geocaching if possible. And I'd like to not spend more than 400$ at the most - $300 would be better.

Thanks,

iWay 100M from Lowrance? $335 at gpscity.com including MapCreate™ Turn-by-Turn mapping software.

Comparable in price/package (comes with CitySelect mapping software), but with limited amount of memory would be Garmin GPS V ($235).

Both units are black-and-white.

Other options Garmin GPSMAP60c/60sc/76c/76cs, eTrex Legend C/ Vista C, Magellan Maridian Color. All color, more expensive and you have to buy maps separately.

You're right (I.M.H.O.) about the iQue being too fragile for geocaching. Your desire to load "a couple of states" of city maps means that you should be looking at no less than a Garmin 60C/S on the Garmin side. It gives you autorouting with audio prompts (beeps). It is on the high side of your price range, and if you include the maps in your $400 budget, they will put you over the top.

Comparable in price/package (comes with CitySelect mapping software), but with limited amount of memory would be Garmin GPS V ($235).

Both units are black-and-white.

The V's 19MB is not nearly enough memory for 2 states.

Other options Garmin GPSMAP60c/60sc/76c/76cs, eTrex Legend C/ Vista C, Magellan Maridian Color. All color, more expensive and you have to buy maps separately.

The eTrex Legend C/ Vista C have 5 more MB of memory than the GPS V - still not enough for 2 states.

Edited by Neo_Geo

When you mention Audio ques, will a beep tone be enough? If you want voice comands in a hand held I think your only choice is the Garmin IQ3200

There are several GPSr that will give you auto routing in a hand held, For auto routling I use a Magellan meridian Gold just about all of Ca. and Nv. loaded onto the SD memory card using map send direct route software. This would fall into your price range. There are also Several Garmin models that will work also

The new Garmin GPS 60 will offer auto routing using the Garmin City select software and still be in the price range you requested. There are some units will color displays, but they will be priced above the range you requseted.

Thanks for all the good info - I was trying to get some pricing info on that Lowrance 100m - does anybpdy know of an online retailer that has it? I haven't been able to find it anywhere online yet.

Thanks,

Let me ask another question. I love using my friends iQue on driving trips - I just took a vacation and it was great just being able to search for nearby restauraunts shops and attractions. Do all these other handlheld units with the citymaps have that level of funtionality? Can i use them to easily find the nearest ATM or mexican restauruant and have them route me to it? Thanks.

Results should be similar as the iQUE. I used my GPS V last weekend to find a resteraunt. No problems.

Memory of the GPS V has all of Southern Idaho, and Northern Nevada to just below Salt Lake. Not two states but the parts of two that I'm normally in. It's also the only thing that hits your 300.00 price range for both the GPS and software.

If you go 400.00 that leaves 300.00 for a GPS and 100 for the City Select software.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Thanks for all the good info - I was trying to get some pricing info on that Lowrance 100m - does anybpdy know of an online retailer that has it?  I haven't been able to find it anywhere online yet.

Thanks,

I quoted price on iWay 100M from http://www.gpscity.com/ .

Let me ask another question.  I love using my friends iQue on driving trips - I just took a vacation and it was great just being able to search for nearby restauraunts shops and attractions.  Do all these other handlheld units with the citymaps have that level of funtionality?  Can i use them to easily find the nearest ATM or mexican restauruant and have them route me to it?  Thanks.

I beleive all handheld units with loaded street level maps have POI - points-of-interest. i.e. restaurants, lodging, fuel, emergency services, airports, shopping etc.

And you can download User Manual for unit from manufacturer's web site before buying it. Here is link for iWay 100M:

http://www.lowrance.com/Manuals/Files/iWAY...-651_121604.pdf

Slow down a bit.. Page 28 of the iWay manual describes how to enter a waypoint of latitude/longitude..

The iWay 100m is brand new, it just hit store/online shelves so,, not many people probably have hands-on experience with it yet.

Oh, the iWay 200c (color) should be out in a few months too :)

Quick question about the Lowrance unit - I scanned the manual real quick - I don't see a wya of putting it into an off-road mode or something similar to use for geocaching -

Page 40 of the manual:

Disable/Enable TBT (Turn-by-Turn)

Although the iWAY is designed to provide you with powerful turn-by-turn

routes, sometimes you want navigation information directly to your destination,

regardless of the roads between here and there. We refer to this as

Line of Sight navigation.

Turn-by-Turn routing is only available in areas covered by a MapCreate

custom map file. If you're navigating in an area outside of your custom

map, or if you wish to disable Turn-by-Turn route generation for any other

reasons, choose Disable TBT from the Main Menu and press ENT.

When Turn-by-Turn navigation is disabled, the iWAY will offer additional

menu options and map display behavior that is unnecessary in Turn-by-

Turn mode. These features are detailed fully in the iFINDER H2O manual

available for free download from our website at the following address:

http://www.lowrance.com/Manuals/

To return to Turn-by-Turn mode, simply press MENU twice to return to

the Main Menu, then choose ENABLE TBT and press ENT.

As anybody used this unit for geocaching yet?

Thanks for all the info all.

This unit just came out. But in manual Lowrance refering to iFinder H2O for off road use. You can actually download iFinder H2O emulator from Lowrance website:

http://www.lowrance.com/Software/PCSoftware/demos.asp

It's fun to play!

Another source of information is Yahoo! Groups - ifinder_gps

One thing have not been able to find regarding lowarance is any information re topo map software, if anyone that has on of these units know what is offered it would be great to know. Thanks

I was digging in that direction for some time now. From what I know.

MapCreate™ USA Topo comes on 6 CDs and current version is 6.3. Starting from this version right restriction was added - after installation you can "register" up to 5 memory cards. It's not a big problem because iFinder-family GPSr works with 1GB cards. I am not shure, but I saw somewhere that maps are based on 1:50000. Good to know that they have USGS 1:24000 Quad Map Boundaries (searchable) and even Quad names. I don't know how good is road data, but don't think as good as MapSend® Topo 3D USA (Genuine NAVTEQ® street mapping). Elevation information seems to be similar to MapSend Topo or Topo 3D. I do have PC screenshot of MapCreate Topo (Crater Lake National Park, OR) I received from Lowrance Customer Service, but I don't think I can post it here. I believe I have to ask permission from them.

In order to create your own map you have to select area and build map after that (take some time). Area could be non-rectangular (actually, any shape). iFinder has limitation - only 32 maps could be on one memory card.

Another limitation - you have to use LEI card reader. Lowrance sells MapCreate Topo USA in two flavors: maps only (MSRP $79.95, can find for ~$75) and as kit: maps, card reader and 32MB card (MSRP $99.95, can find ~$95). BTW, iWay comes with LEI reader.

Bonus from Lowrance - Free Enhanced Lake Maps with improved shorelines and depth contour lines.

Edited by Hoary

Thanks for the reply re topo software.

I've never understood the pressing need of TOPO data though

There are times when in the back country a TOPO map can be handy. A paper map is the best choice but some cachers like to have a topo map also on their GPS screen also, or some may use a TOPO on the GPS rather than a paper map. It's always a good idea to have a paper map and a compass whenever you go into the back country. Paper maps and base plate compasses do not require batteries and they will not brek if you drop them.